PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Series of error codes (300, 335, 344, 2074)

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jun 2014, 10:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Series of error codes (300, 335, 344, 2074)

My mother-in-law has a 2005 PT cruiser (auto) that they've had for about 6 months, and a few weeks ago it started bucking, particularly under accelleration. I pulled codes and got P0344. I went to Advance Auto and got a cam position sensor, and it worked for a few days. Then it started again and I pulled P0335 and P0300.
At this point, I went on here and researched the codes. I found that it could be a vac leak, so I ran propane around the engine bay and didn't find anything leak-wise. I also discovered that I needed to buy Mopar parts, so I got a crank position sensor from the dealership. It worked for a week, then started again. I pulled P0344 again, and got a Mopar cam position sensor. It worked for about another week. I just went over today and it had P0335 and P0344 again. I pulled the negative cable off for about 5 minutes, then put it back on and cleared the codes. It ran fine for about 5 minutes, but when I decided to get on to the highway (to test it under a lot of load) it missed a couple times, then completely died. I shifted it in neutral and eased it into a parking lot, where it wouldn't start at all. At this point it had codes 335 (or 344, I can't remember) and P2074. I cleared the codes, but 2074 stayed. It did start up, though. I nursed it back the mile or so to their apartment, and whenever I accelerated much it would start bucking like before.

I did some research, and it looks like a vacuum leak could cause this, but it is WAY too intermittent to be a vac leak. From what I have read, that leaves either then MAP sensor, TPS, ECU, or wiring. How do I test these? I know about wiring, but is there some procedure for for testing the MAP or TPS sensor?
Old 16 Jun 2014, 11:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Series of error codes (300, 335, 344, 2074)

Is the car over 100,000 miles?....If yes;Has the timing belt been changed?
Old 16 Jun 2014, 11:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Series of error codes (300, 335, 344, 2074)

Invest in a good code scanner. You never cleared any codes disconnecting the battery. Who knows where you are at at this point DTC wise until you get the your PT properly scanned and have the codes cleared then run a engine cycle.You may even with might consider to re- set the I/M file?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 16 Jun 2014, 11:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Not sure, and I have no idea. Is there any way to check other than visual inspection?
Also, I know this is an interference engine and it needs to be checked, but would something related to the timing belt really cause it to behave in this way? I would think that it would either be correct timing, or jump a tooth which would be permanent, not run fine some of the time and die other times.
I'm not trying to come across harshly and I'm going to check it soon, but right now I just need it running so they can get to work.

Thanks for the reply and keep it coming!
Old 16 Jun 2014, 11:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Also, I have a code scanner which is what I actually used to reset the codes (I was trying not to make the post into a book so I paraphrased.)
I'm very well versed in cars (I have an RX-7 race car that I built from the ground up) but I'm not familiar with some of the aspects of this car. What exactly is the I/M file and how can I reset it? Sorry if its covered elsewhere, its late and its been a long day :/
Old 17 Jun 2014, 12:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead87 View Post
Also, I have a code scanner which is what I actually used to reset the codes (I was trying not to make the post into a book so I paraphrased.)
I'm very well versed in cars (I have an RX-7 race car that I built from the ground up) but I'm not familiar with some of the aspects of this car. What exactly is the I/M file and how can I reset it? Sorry if its covered elsewhere, its late and its been a long day :/
Clearing of codes only clears them from RAM. A mis conception many think that they are removed from problem state. If the problem has been corrected the properly clearing the DTC will also show a state of Readiness in the ECU. If the cause of the DTC was not corrected and you clear the code it will remain in the area of I/M until at least 50 or miles or 2-4 complete engine cycles. All 0BDII and CANbus systems are designed in this way. It has to do with emissions and preventative tampering or altering the systems.

At this point I would clear and re-set the I/m and start the engine to see what DTCs may post at idle. Then in gear brake on and bring the RPM up to about 3k to see any DTCs. At that point the next test would be a smartly driven ride of about one mile. Once you do this you will have accurate DTC information. From that you can start the testing of mechanical items associated with your DTC information.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 17 Jun 2014, 01:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info; I don't have too much OBD-II experience, so thats good to know and explains a lot. I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 07:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

I've searched and I can't find anything on this I/M file. What is it and how do I clear it?
Old 17 Jun 2014, 08:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead87 View Post
I've searched and I can't find anything on this I/M file. What is it and how do I clear it?
http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/docs/readiness.pdf

California SMOG Testing the NITRO way

If any of these are not in the green or ready than most states will not pass your emissions test. Any one in red indicates a problem unsolved even if you clear the DTC codes you can not clear this area of the PCM but you can re-set it.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 17 Jun 2014 at 08:29 am.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 08:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Of course! Not sure why, but I always forget about that. Based on what I did yesterday, after clearing it would still have 2074 at idle and it would pop up 344 when driving, but I'll give it another go when I get back over there. I'm going to try to drive it to my house so I can properly diagnose everything, but I'll just have to see if it cooperates or not.