PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 cruiser overheating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jun 2014, 01:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 cruiser overheating

It overheated a month ago.

I found it had "red sludge" from improper or not changing the coolant. We bought it 3 years ago with new coolant in it...seller had it in the shop for an inspection and they did a flush and refill. So whatever the reason it sludged up and clogged the overflow hose...so when it overheated it blew out the rad. cap...nice mess.

I flushed the system, cleaned the overflow hose and tank, installed a new thermostat and refilled.

It's been fine since...my wife drives it every day to work and I have driven it several time on weekends. The temp gauge hasn't gone past halfway even in warm weather with the a/c on. It did start making the "gurgling" sound in the overflow tank for a few seconds after the car is turned off.

Today it overheated again. Not sure what to check next.... from what I've read here it's either the fan or head gasket. If it's the head gasket, wouldn't it have been running hot before? The gurgling started right after cleaning the overflow system...with no signs of overheating and the gauge stays at the halfway point.

Sorry for the long post...trying to get all info in!

Thanks, Joe
Old 17 Jun 2014, 02:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 cruiser overheating

I could also be a clogged radiator. It's cooling capacity may be reduced. So it works "okay" until it doesn't. Just something to consider.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 03:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, I will check. I read somewhere to touch the middle, then outsides. If the middle is cooler than the sides then it is clogged. Are there any other ways to tell? When I drained the system the drain plug flowed freely so I was hoping that the radiator wasn't too bad...wishful thinking on my part. Still would be easier than a head gasket though.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 03:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by joereott21 View Post
It did start making the "gurgling" sound in the overflow tank for a few seconds after the car is turned off.

Today it overheated again. Not sure what to check next.... from what I've read here it's either the fan or head gasket. If it's the head gasket, wouldn't it have been running hot before? The gurgling started right after cleaning the overflow system...with no signs of overheating and the gauge stays at the halfway point.
Check your radiator cap & did you bleed the air out of the radiator after you worked on it..??

I did all the things also, but it ended up being a blown head gasket.
If you end up replacing the head gasket, do the timing belt & water pump also.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 17 Jun 2014, 04:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It is a new cap.....but no I DIDN't bleed the air off. Was just reading some old posts and realized that could be a problem. Just found a link to the proper procedure, so i will do that ASAP.

Any idea if air in the system would take awhile to cause problems? I checked the reservoir a couple times right after refilling the system but not since. Would it go from running at normal temp to overheating suddenly? Still trying to figure out why there were no problems for a month.
Old 18 Jun 2014, 07:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, when it cooled down I checked and the system was quite a bit low. the reservoir was empty and the rad. took over half a gallon. I filled everything and am bleeding the air off. Car is running at normal temp again...not a hair above 3 o'clock. Can't find any leaks and it shows no signs of being the head gasket...at least no bubbling in the reservoir during or after running.

Well the new cap is bad. With the system full it was letting a small trickle of coolant out...when I pushed down on it, it stopped. Old cap is back on and no leaks....back to bleeding the system.

Last edited by joereott21; 18 Jun 2014 at 07:55 pm.