PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replaced fan, relays, and fan will not function?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jun 2014, 10:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Replaced fan, relays, and fan will not function?

I've been reading your site for days, now became a member. Love my 2002 PT Cruiser

Car was having starting problems, cleaned battery terminals and it ran great for 6 months. Suddenly wouldn't start one morning. Bought a new battery and all fine except suddenly overheated in my drive way. Tested fan which was bad, replaced with new, replaced low speed relay thus far. FAN will not work. I have not yet replaced the high speed relay or ECT Sensor? Disconnected battery to try a reboot of system after new part installations and now the "check engine light" is on. It wasn't on before. Check for codes and get: 0645 A/C Clutch Relay Control Circuit : 1489 High Speed Fan CTRL Relay Circuit Open or Shorted : 1490 Low Speed Fan CTRL Relay Circuit Open or Shorted : 1495 Leak Detection Pump Solenoid Circuit Open or Shorted.

How should I proceed at this point?

Thanks JerZJune
Old 18 Jun 2014, 11:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Replaced fan, relays, and fan will not function?

Too many codes. Start from scratch. Disconnect the negative battery cable, step on the brake pedal, re-connect the battery. Start it up, let it run for a couple minutes, Shut it down and then check for any codes.

Easy enough to replace the high and low relays for the fan. Is it running rough? Are there problems with the A/C before?

BTW: Welcome to the forum.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Jun 2014, 03:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Followed your instructions to the letter, tried it twice actually, BUT alll the same codes came up.

Last season a/c was recharged, and was working wonderful still this season until car overheated while sitting in my drive. Now not working, compressor doesn't seem to be kicking in.

Had no issues with the car running rough. However just now upon starting to follow your instructions it did stall out. Never had a stalling issue before.

I plan on replacing the high speed relay this weekend. As i said i have only replaced the low speed relay so far, and the fan itself. Do you suggest I also replace ECT sensor?

Thank you for your advice and time.
Old 18 Jun 2014, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First, the stalling. Once you disconnected the battery and stepped on the brake pedal to get rid of residual charge, the computer that learned the way you drove and had your settings in memory, that gets lost. It won't take long on a short drive 10 to 15 minutes for the computer to relearn everything. It will run ruff (and maybe stall) while it's learning everything again.

The ECT doesn't normally go bad but being it's a 2002 and probably up in mileage, it couldn't hurt to put a new one in.

Not sure how you tested the old fan to find out it was bad, but did you perform the same test once the new fan was put in?

If you look at the diagram below for the fan circuit you'll see two fuses that need to be good for the fan operation. Fuse#12 in the fuse box in the interior of the car and fuse #5 in the PDC (Power Distribution Center) in the engine compartment. Check those before going any further.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Jun 2014, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

if that does not work and it should go to a napa or autozone or pep boys and ahve them read your codes some of them will NOT erase them but some will

A lot of members have simply replaced the whole fan assembly unless it a turbo its just about as cheap to just replace the entire fan that way you knwo all is good
Old 18 Jun 2014, 04:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Grounded and tested old fan, which was non working. Tested new fan which proved to be good. I will check the fuses next.

The car has been in my family since day of purchase and well maintained. Currently has 120, 000 miles. Will check fuses first before ECT sensor replacement, and post update then.
Old 19 Jun 2014, 07:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin! You are the best

Eureka! It was the interior fuse #12. Everything is a go-go now.

Thank you so very much for your time and advice.

JerZJune
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT Cruiser.jpg (95.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 19 Jun 2014, 07:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks. Glad you got it working.