Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating AGAIN!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jun 2014, 10:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating AGAIN!

Hi everyone! I have been a lurker on this forum for a while now, and have learned a ton of information, so I decided hey why not create a profile?
I know there are a ton of "overheating" threads in this forum, and I searched for a while before posting because I don't want to post a question that has been asked a million times, but I am not finding what I am looking for.
I have a '03, and I have changed the radiator cap, had the thermostat changed a couple of months ago, the water pump was replaced a year and a half ago, and now it is overheating again???
My regular mechanic is out of town until next week, and his brother that he left in charge (who I believe is way less knowledgeable) told me that I need ANOTHER water pump. I asked him "Do they need to be changed every year and half? Because that was just replaced." And his response was yes, they go bad and have to be changed that frequently. Now, I don't know squat about cars, but I don't think that I need to be changing something like that every year and a half. (He is kind of an idiot to me anyways...)
I don't think that I have a radiator leak because it is still full, but I do see liquid leaking out from the bottom passenger side when I turn the car off. So my question is: Do I truly need another water pump or does the radiator have a crack? I tell ya -sometimes ignorance is not bliss....
Old 19 Jun 2014, 11:01 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating AGAIN!

I don't believe a water pump is your problem. The timing belt, tensioners, and water pump usually are replaced together at 90-100K mileage intervals.

A leak could easily be heater hoses or turbo coolant lines in addition to the usual suspects.
Old 19 Jun 2014, 11:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Water pumps are shaft driven so unless the bearing is failing or the gasket/seal is leaking they will continue to pump coolant even in a failing state.

The "mechanic" should be testing the cooling system pressure and also the radiator cap. Better shops can test the antifreeze mix. With a thermal gun you can see the operating temperatures across the radiator core for operating consistency. By reading the thermostat area you can also determine if the thermostat is operating reasonably as it should be.

Maybe a second opinion from a more experienced or trained "mechanic (better a Auto Tech) should be considered?

OH AND....
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

btw you do not have profile information created by you yet?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 19 Jun 2014 at 11:05 am.
Old 19 Jun 2014, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks a bunch for the responses, they are appreciated.
I just bought a new radiator cap, and I dont think that the water pump is my issue either...I am definitely getting a second opinion...I wouldn't let him touch my car that day....I told him I would rather wait until his brother got back.

Oh and yea, let me go and finish my profile
Old 19 Jun 2014, 01:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The fluid under passenger side - that's clear, isn't it? If so, it is from A/C and is perfectly normal and harmless.
Is your engine fan working on both speeds?
Open hood, start engine, turn on A/C, see if engine fan is running - if not, there's your problem.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles