Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C Problem -

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jun 2014, 11:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy A/C Problem -

For a couple years now the A/C in my 2005 PT Cruiser Touring (non-turbo) hasn't been doing a very good job. Sometimes just barely cool. The clutch kicks in and in a few seconds kicks back out.
I checked the R134 and it has full pressure so I took it to a local Goodyear shop that does A/C.
The guys there quoted about $60 that included a diagnostic and 2 cans of R134 if needed. I got a call later that day that the R134 was full but the car had other problems, they kept it for another day.
Today I get the call that they found the problem. The cooling fan isn't working when the A/C is on. Now I know the cooling fan works when the engine gets hot, I have heard it, it never overheats or goes past the halfway mark. They explained that the fan has TWO motors and only the engine temp motor is working. I know I have a single fan that may be two speeds, but I didn't think it had two motors.
They want $700 to replace the fan (they say they need to disassemble the whole front of the car)
My question is, if the fan was bad, shouldn't the A/C still work when I am doing 70 on the freeway? Are there separate motor windings for the A/C in the fan?
Now they are telling me if I pick up the car now, without being fixed, I owe them $150..even though they didn't need to use any R134.

A little voice in my head is saying...run away...run away....
Old 19 Jun 2014, 12:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: A/C Problem -

they quoted you $60 and now they want $150? tell 'em to pack it.

some say the low speed on the fan should be running when the ac is on. give them their $60 and get a dorman fan off of rockauto or amazon. simple enough to replace.
Old 19 Jun 2014, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: A/C Problem -

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyomb View Post
they quoted you $60 and now they want $150? tell 'em to pack it.

some say the low speed on the fan should be running when the ac is on. give them their $60 and get a dorman fan off of rockauto or amazon. simple enough to replace.
Sounds like a good idea. I did a little research on this forum and changing the fan should only take 1/2 hour or so. Amazon has the whole assembly including shroud and fan for around $80. Motor only is around $50
Old 22 Jun 2014, 09:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

First, giving a diagnostic quote of $60 and then a bill for $150 is illegal in most, if not all, states. Most states have laws that an estimate must be in writing, and repairs above the estimate are not to be done without specific customer approval beforehand.

Second, no it does not cost $800 to replace the fan, and yes a bad fan will make the AC not cool. It also makes the car overheat in certain circumstances.

To remove the fan, you have to remove the nose trim and radiator upper support, which anyone that has a cruiser should be able to do in about 10 minutes. The radiator/condensor assembly needs to come out, which will require draining both the cooling and AC systems. Then it is just a few AC fittings to unbolt, and disconnect the lower and upper radiator hoses and the electrical connector to the fan. The radiator/condensor/fan assembly just lifts out, and you dissassmble on the bench and install a new fan motor ($50) or the entire fan assembly, which will cost more in parts but save time. OF course when you put it back together, you have to fill the cooling and AC systems.

A competent mechanic should be able to do this in 2-3hrs, which means this job should cost about $225-$300 parts & labor. Any relatively skilled DIY guy can handle this in an afternoon.
Old 22 Jun 2014, 09:56 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarlisle View Post
First, giving a diagnostic quote of $60 and then a bill for $150 is illegal in most, if not all, states. Most states have laws that an estimate must be in writing, and repairs above the estimate are not to be done without specific customer approval beforehand.

Second, no it does not cost $800 to replace the fan, and yes a bad fan will make the AC not cool. It also makes the car overheat in certain circumstances.

To remove the fan, you have to remove the nose trim and radiator upper support, which anyone that has a cruiser should be able to do in about 10 minutes. The radiator/condensor assembly needs to come out, which will require draining both the cooling and AC systems. Then it is just a few AC fittings to unbolt, and disconnect the lower and upper radiator hoses and the electrical connector to the fan. The radiator/condensor/fan assembly just lifts out, and you dissassmble on the bench and install a new fan motor ($50) or the entire fan assembly, which will cost more in parts but save time. OF course when you put it back together, you have to fill the cooling and AC systems.

A competent mechanic should be able to do this in 2-3hrs, which means this job should cost about $225-$300 parts & labor. Any relatively skilled DIY guy can handle this in an afternoon.
Sorry but this is all wrong. Once the front parts are off all you do is disconnect the upper radiator hose. That will allow the radiator to pivot forward. Remove six bolts and the fan comes right out. You don't have to remove the radiator and condenser. I have done a fan replacement three times and never removed the radiator. You do have to remove the air filter box, battery and battery tray but that's easy. There is a how to here on this site.
Old 22 Jun 2014, 10:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

here in illinois it's illegal for a shop to charge more than 25% over what they quoted unless they approve the new cost with you first. i would give them $75 and tell them to have a nice day.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 04:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
Sorry but this is all wrong. Once the front parts are off all you do is disconnect the upper radiator hose. That will allow the radiator to pivot forward. Remove six bolts and the fan comes right out. You don't have to remove the radiator and condenser. I have done a fan replacement three times and never removed the radiator. You do have to remove the air filter box, battery and battery tray but that's easy. There is a how to here on this site.
I guess I took the long route.... but even more of a reason it isn't an $800 job. I guess that is what I get for following the book.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 05:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Dorman fans off Rockauto, I'm told are Lifetime guarantee
I bought two off Ebay and received and installed them for less that
$135 and its been two years , no problem.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 23 Jun 2014, 07:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Has anyone thought of checking the relays??

The fan is working on the engine side just not on the A/C side. Sounds like the fan is OK just not getting a signal to run..

Understand that it is a low speed and hi speed motor but still controlled by relays.
Old 24 Jun 2014, 08:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenb1956 View Post
Has anyone thought of checking the relays??

The fan is working on the engine side just not on the A/C side. Sounds like the fan is OK just not getting a signal to run..

Understand that it is a low speed and hi speed motor but still controlled by relays.
Checking the relays is part of the diagnosing but usually they are not the issue. The fan has four sets of brushes. Two for the low speed and two for the high speed. The high speed brushes wear down rather quickly and causes the high speed to quit working. With the 06 and ups the relays get replaced when you replace the fan unit since they are mounted on the shroud.