How weak are the factory spark plug wire-bad at 7K miles

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GOLDNPT
  • 1 Post By GOLDNPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jun 2014, 05:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default How weak are the factory spark plug wire-bad at 7K miles

I was not surprised when I had to replace the plug wires on my wife's 2004 GT at 50K for a miss at idle and ticking noise at wires. I was surprised when our 2006 convertible with 7K miles developed the same condition. Just goes to show how weak the factory plug wires can be.
Old 19 Jun 2014, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How weak are the factory spark plug wire-bad at 7K miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDNPT View Post
I was not surprised when I had to replace the plug wires on my wife's 2004 GT at 50K for a miss at idle and ticking noise at wires. I was surprised when our 2006 convertible with 7K miles developed the same condition. Just goes to show how weak the factory plug wires can be.
Got some with 100+k miles still going.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Jun 2014, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Haven't heard of them going bad that fast but plenty of reports of missing, stuttering and ruff idle's being fixed by replacing the wires way before any decent wires would have gone bad. I went to 20K before throwing in the Champion Double Platinum plugs without any problems but from what I was reading on the forum, I put in a new set of wires too.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Jun 2014, 05:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Always arguable information about MOPAR OEM wires.
Just last weekend replaced a set on a PT. The highest ohm reading was 2700 ohms. Not bad for a 03 Turbo Dream Cruiser with 106k miles on the original MOPAR wire set?

IMO the wires on PT Cruiser especially Turbo Models should be replaced at 50k miles preferably with an improved quality wire set like MSD, Crane NGK etc. with a ohms rating of at least 200ohm per foot or less. This is not to say that the MOPAR wire sets or other aftermarket wire sets will not be acceptable in most operating conditions for a daily driven PT. It is just my preference.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 19 Jun 2014 at 05:55 pm.
Old 19 Jun 2014, 07:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

7 K might be a record, but on BOTH my PTs, I had a miss/stumble before 20,000 miles that went away when I went to Crane wires (and new plugs).

Nearly any name brand wire is better than the stock wires.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Jun 2014, 09:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

I was surprised that any spark plug wire would start to short out at 7K miles but then I remembered that when I worked at a dealer service dept. every now and then we would see a new plug, wire or coil that would fail at a very low mileage.

Since the 2006 intake has to be taken off to get at all the plugs and wires I went ahead and pre purchased the wires and plugs but my visual inspection revealed no obvious shorts or grounding issues. After finding no visual problems, I was pretty sure the ticking noise I was hearing was not the wires or plugs but I figured I would just go a head and put the new parts in while I had everything apart. I really figured I was going to still hear the ticking with the new parts but to my surprise the new wires and plugs did correct the problem. My guess is I had a plug wire that was having a issue internally. Just wanted to pass this on because when our 2004 wires started to go bad at 50K I heard the same ticking noise and had noticed a rough idle with a light miss.

Good to hear some have gone over 100K but you might be surprised if you replace those wires car will probably idle better and have more power etc.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 07:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDNPT View Post
I was surprised that any spark plug wire would start to short out at 7K miles but then I remembered that when I worked at a dealer service dept. every now and then we would see a new plug, wire or coil that would fail at a very low mileage.

Since the 2006 intake has to be taken off to get at all the plugs and wires I went ahead and pre purchased the wires and plugs but my visual inspection revealed no obvious shorts or grounding issues. After finding no visual problems, I was pretty sure the ticking noise I was hearing was not the wires or plugs but I figured I would just go a head and put the new parts in while I had everything apart. I really figured I was going to still hear the ticking with the new parts but to my surprise the new wires and plugs did correct the problem. My guess is I had a plug wire that was having a issue internally. Just wanted to pass this on because when our 2004 wires started to go bad at 50K I heard the same ticking noise and had noticed a rough idle with a light miss.

Good to hear some have gone over 100K but you might be surprised if you replace those wires car will probably idle better and have more power etc.
Actually they run good but I'm sure the plugs have been done. I will say that I have seen a plug go and cause a problem with the wire if not dealt with in a timely manner. I also have read about the other brands of wires failing prematurely as well. I think that infrequent use of a vehicle causes premature parts failure too. So it's just hard to say why some run into this and some don't. Just luck I guess.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Jun 2014, 09:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The MOPAR wires are currently running on over 3 million vehicles. If they were as bad as some Mechanics and DIY home tuners say I am sure Chrysler would have made a change. The fact is as it is with any part nothing is perfect and you only read about the negatives. Is there a response anywhere that someone says how great their OEM spark plug wires are on any make or model vehicle?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN