Advertisements
Radio shutting off when turning wheel

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By quicksilverdon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jun 2014, 07:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Radio shutting off when turning wheel

Beginning to think my PT has a crazy lil bug.
While driving if i turn the steering wheel, the radio sometimes cuts out.
If i hit the column of air bag area the radio comes back on.
Has anyone had this problem?
Like to get a good idea before I go poking around the air bag if you know what I mean.

Thanks
Old 25 Jun 2014, 07:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Radio shutting off when turning wheel

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, we've seen the problem before and it has to do with the wiring harness from the radio going down the steering column and when there's movement, the wire stretches and pulls on the harness. Try moving the steering wheel down an inch or two and see if that stops the radio from turning off and on. If that doesn't work, you might want to trace the harness from the radio and see where it's binding and maybe yo can re-route the wires or do something so the harness doesn't move when turning the wheel.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 07:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the insight.

I joined a while back to check the sight out. My son bought a PT Cruiser, always liked it lol. I developed shoulder problems and the car i was driving was to hard to deal with. So we swapped vehicles, always loved the body style of the Pt.
Plan to do a lil repainting so it matches my 1987 Dodge Ramcharger.

Looks like I will be crawling under the dash and re-routing some wires.

Again thank you
Old 25 Jun 2014, 08:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Start in the steering column - take housing apart - 2 phillips screws and snap apart - look at all connectors as you move wheel.
jeffv1970 likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Jun 2014, 11:15 am
Cool Cruiser

Our PT's radio would shut off once in a while or not come on at all... found out that if the ignition key wasn't jammed into the ignition all the way the radio would be inoperable. Everything else worked but the radio.
05 PT GT Vert, Airbox mod, K&N filter, NeedsWings intake pipe, Mopar BOV, MSD wires, Autotecnica Chrome Spears, APC Taillights, Mopar Stage One, UltraGauge, Energy front suspension kit, Moog spherical bushings
Old 21 Mar 2015, 01:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I know this is an older thread, but I'm wondering if he got it fixed? My daughter has a 2003 PT and once in a while, when she steers the radio shuts off. Guess I need to take apart the cover on the steering column and see if the wires are being pulled.
Old 21 Mar 2015, 05:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Look up Horn And Radio Intermittentin in the search. Fresh cruiser, Jensenpro's posted information and photos on fix, adding a ground wire. anyway it fixed my problem on my 2002 horn and radio light intermitten not working. Hope this helps.
Old 22 Mar 2015, 02:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I looked up the wiring diagram for it and do not see the wire colors for this. The ignition key is likely causing the issue with a loose wire, or a breaking wire as now it's getting worse almost daily. Radio hardly stays on when she's driving, and yet the OEM service manual I couldn't find the wiring diagram at all for the ignition key that would tell me what wires go to the radio. Kind of a pain in the you know what...
Old 22 Mar 2015, 03:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
I looked up the wiring diagram for it and do not see the wire colors for this. The ignition key is likely causing the issue with a loose wire, or a breaking wire as now it's getting worse almost daily. Radio hardly stays on when she's driving, and yet the OEM service manual I couldn't find the wiring diagram at all for the ignition key that would tell me what wires go to the radio. Kind of a pain in the you know what...

I don't have a 1st generation PT Cruiser but this might help you.

RADIO 12V CONSTANT WIRE PINK/LT.BLUE
RADIO SWITCHED WIRE RED/WHITE
RADIO GROUND WIRE BLACK