PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Having trouble with pulling off harmonic balancer

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jun 2014, 08:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Having trouble with pulling off harmonic balancer

I'm having trouble getting the harmonic balancer off. I'm in the middle of changing out everything that comes in the timing belt kit, and I'm stuck at this point. I borrowed the Chrysler OEM puller from Autozone to get the pulley out. I'd say it's around 1/2 to 3/4 of the way off, but at this point it doesn't want to budge. The arms of the puller keep slipping off of the pulley the more I try to crank it at this point. I can't figure out why this is happening or how to fix it. Anyone have some advice?
Old 25 Jun 2014, 09:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Having trouble with pulling off harmonic balancer

I've done several and always used an impact gun, sometimes a torch to heat up the center hub if it seemed stuck and I always remember putting little wedges behind the arms of the puller because they seem to want to slip out.
use the tips of screw driver maybe.
Make sure your pulling straight, In the kit I borrowed from Advance Auto the pin supplied with the kit to push off the harmonic balancer doesn't seem to be the correct one. Cannot remember , to long or to short so I made one I use too. Make sure the center push bolt is not bottoming out. You might need a longer pin.
Usually the hardest part is getting it to move as you first start pulling.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 26 Jun 2014 at 08:06 pm.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 06:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuner View Post
I'm having trouble getting the harmonic balancer off. I'm in the middle of changing out everything that comes in the timing belt kit, and I'm stuck at this point. I borrowed the Chrysler OEM puller from Autozone to get the pulley out. I'd say it's around 1/2 to 3/4 of the way off, but at this point it doesn't want to budge. The arms of the puller keep slipping off of the pulley the more I try to crank it at this point. I can't figure out why this is happening or how to fix it. Anyone have some advice?
Post a pick where the puller and the center hole meet. At that point you should be able to get it off if the puller is set up right. You might be pushing against the pulley itself. Instead of the center rod.

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!
JoeX likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Jun 2014, 07:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for replying. I figured out how to get it out. I had to take a 2-3" pipe clamp and tighten it down around the puller arms to keep them from slipping out. Also to note, the puller was bottoming out even with the longest extension. It turns out that you have to flip the arms over on the puller and use it so that the flush side of the puller is what you are screwing down to. The other side has a ridge that you screw down to, and I was having the problem where I bottomed out on the puller and still didn't have the pulley off. Basically, have the side of the puller without writing facing me. On towards the timing belt. Oh, also do I need to disconnect the exhaust for this?o
Old 27 Jun 2014, 12:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The puller I used can't slip out so I didn't have any problems. Glad you are making progress.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Jun 2014, 12:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I paid to have mine done, but I have never heard of needing to bother exhaust to replace timing belt.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Jun 2014, 05:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
I paid to have mine done, but I have never heard of needing to bother exhaust to replace timing belt.
Yes it's way easier to move the engine up and down if you disconnect the exhaust from the manifold.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Jun 2014, 05:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Yes it's way easier to move the engine up and down if you disconnect the exhaust from the manifold.
on a turbo car. on an NA car you're just making more work. i've had to raise/lower the engine for both the timing belt and the clutch and i've never touched the exhaust. that just sounds like one of the many useless extra steps you'd see in a chilton manual.
Old 02 Jul 2014, 05:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I disconnected the exhaust, and that did help. Now, I just can't get clearance to get that metal bracket out. More specifically, I cannot get 2 of the 3 15mm bolts out of the metal plate due to lack of clearance. I can't get that motor mount that is in there next to it either. It seems that I can't move the engine up or down enough to get enough clearance for the bolts to come out. I'm not sure if I missed something or what. Does anyone have an idea?
Old 02 Jul 2014, 05:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuner View Post
I disconnected the exhaust, and that did help. Now, I just can't get clearance to get that metal bracket out. More specifically, I cannot get 2 of the 3 15mm bolts out of the metal plate due to lack of clearance. I can't get that motor mount that is in there next to it either. It seems that I can't move the engine up or down enough to get enough clearance for the bolts to come out. I'm not sure if I missed something or what. Does anyone have an idea?
You will have to loosen them and use the socket by hand until you can get hold of the bolt to screw them out. Don't think you can get that center mount out of the rail. If the rubber isn't tore just use it.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com