Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Clogged/blocked radiator question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2014, 08:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Clogged/blocked radiator question

I have 2001 pt cruiser overheating , i have done it all already except a new radiator, ( because i was told when i got it that it was new and it looks new)
my question is if it is overheating after 30 minutes of Arkansas driving should my fins on the front of the radiator be warm or hot to the touch , because water is boiling out of the reservoir , so it has to be hot . I have read that if the front fins are cool when this happens my radiator is clogged or blocked.
any input on this would be appreciated. If this is true then i guess i need a new radiator.

Craig
Old 26 Jun 2014, 08:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Clogged/blocked radiator question

Foound this in a search....

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...7075745AATblzA

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 08:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah i saw that exact same thing after searching yesterday for some answers, i just figured i would ask on this site, since it is for Pt cruisers and people on here know thier stuff. So do you agree with that also, my fins should be at least warm and not cool?

Craig
Old 26 Jun 2014, 08:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROPEBURN View Post
Yeah i saw that exact same thing after searching yesterday for some answers, i just figured i would ask on this site, since it is for Pt cruisers and people on here know thier stuff. So do you agree with that also, my fins should be at least warm and not cool?
Yes I agree but before going out and buying a new one, try a flush.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 08:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Or, and that's a big "OR", the head gasket is blown.

If compression in entering the water jacket, a majority of the coolant can be blow our before the radiator gets very hot.

While test driving several PT's before buying mine, I witnessed this. The cars would drive fine for a while and then just blow all the water out. And having dealt with blown head gaskets for most of my life, I knew the coolant being blown out was not super hot.

Also, sometime a slightly blown head gasket will let the engine run fine until put under a load or run for a long time. It's not out of the questions that you could drive 30 minutes or more before the engine blows out the coolant.

Other likely items could be a failed radiator fan, stuck thermostat or the air not being bled out of the cooling system after refill. Please let us know what all you have done so far?
Old 26 Jun 2014, 09:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

yes, i have a new radiator fan, a new thermostat, and it has been pressure tested for a blown head gasket and was told that it is fine.
i bought it from my brother in law and he said it he had a new radiator put on about a year ago, however during all my trial and error of trying to fix it .i ran across what appeared to be some stop leak of some kind in the return over flow hose because it was completely clogged up with the stuff, as was the petcock on the over flow reservoir where the over flow hose was connected.
Took my air compressor to blow that crud out of there. ( and i have bled the air out )
So now after replacing everything else and knowing there was some type of stuff clogging up those 2 things, and reading that the fins should be warm and mine are not the least bit warm i am thinking that it is severly clogged up with the same crud .
if i do have to get a new radiator any suggestons on brands, i see like 10 -15 diffrent brands , TYC, CSF, Spectra, Prorad, Silla, Metrix, GPD, Vista Pro, Valeo, ranging from $68.50-189.66

Craig
Old 26 Jun 2014, 09:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I believe the TYC radiator comes with a lifetime warranty and can be bought online for about half the cost of the local parts stores.

Look on RockAuto.com. I believe they may have the best price. And you can use the discount code 2201006920009654. It expires on July 6, 2014.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 12:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

cool , sounds like a plan,and thanks for the discount code, and i am 99% sure that is what type of Radiator fan i purchased off of Amazon, not that it matters but , people say you get what you pay for , but i am tired of throwing money at this car and the problem not going away, so the best deal is the right deal for me, and if it is clogged then there is no way this won't do something.
If it still overheats after this , i give up and will get rid of it in the winter, at tax time. ( lol)

Craig
Old 26 Jun 2014, 07:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Did I miss radiator cap? I think (sometimes) boiling temp goes up 2 degree for every pound of pressure in the system + more for anti freeze.
I just replaced my sebring radiator (RADIATOR.COM) Lifetime $125.
180,000 miles and not a trace of dirt in the tubes. The rubber gasket sealing the drivers side tank and the cooling tubes on the sides started to leak.
Possible reason when I positioned the fan assembly on to the new radiator there was a 1/4 inch gap between the mounting brackets on the left side.
Not a lot of preesure when tightened but over time it may led to the early demise of the radiator.
I found nylon washers and used them for spacers to aleviate the binding pressure.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 29 Jun 2014 at 11:45 am.
Old 29 Jun 2014, 09:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just wanted to mention. On my 2001 it is virtually impossible to touch the radiator....the cooling fins you can touch through the grill are for the A/C, and reaching through the fan I could only get a fingertip on it....no way to tell from side to side how the temp is.

I was first fooled into thinking that the thermostat wasn't working because the car was at temp but those fins were cool...after replacing it, i was then fooled into thinking the Rad. was clogged. Wasn't until I started the tear down that I realized that I wasn't even touching the rad. at all!