PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2008 touring rough idle running out of ideas.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2014, 06:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2008 touring rough idle running out of ideas.

Ok, I have a 2008 touring edition.
It has what my mechanic called a "soft miss", the GEL shows a code p0300 for random multiple misfires. Also shows code p0499 Evap emissions system leak, according to mechanic it is not related and nothing to worry about.
we have replaced the plugs, wires, ignition coil, idle air control motor, pcv valve, air filter, gas cap, ran a quarter bottle of seafoam thought the vac line, tried my best to clean the throttle body, and have ran a few bottles of fuel injection cleaner through it.
before we did all that it was idling really rough and would stall almost every time it would come to a stop. After all that is is running better, bit still idling rough and throwing those two codes. while it is idling, if I pull the hose off the off valve it will rev up a little and smooth out for a little bit, then get rough again and die if put the hose back on. The mechanic said it was nothing obvious he could find and said it would either need the engine rebuilt or replaced to fix it. he ran a compression test and his test showed tho compression on the third cylinder was only around 90, while the other three cylinders where fine, however there is no code for a specific cylinder.
my observations is that it seems to run better on different types of gas, or when there is fuel injector cleaner or octane booster in the gas, and it runs a lot worse when the AC. is on. it has 109,000 miles, the have been a few.times when the wife has come home with tho fuel light on. could this all possibly be the fuel pump assembly? when I askedvthe mechanic about that and told him why I suspect the fuel pump is said it wasn't that, and was most likely something in the engine causing low compression. hope I have included all relevant information, and sorry for any typos, hard to type all this on a phone. thanks.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 06:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 touring rough idle running out of ideas.

P0499 Evaporative Emission System Vent Valve Control Circuit High

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 26 Jun 2014, 07:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Have mechanic spray some starting fluid along intake manifold seams while car is idling - if idle smooths out, it is an intake manifold leak - fairly common and easy to fix.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Jun 2014, 07:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. we tried the starter fluid all around the intake manifold, and vacuum lines, could not detect any leak there. I think the p0499 is a separate problem than the low compression, but if it helps I disconnected the battery overnight to clear the codes, hooked it up this morning to see if it could pick up any codes, turned tho let forward three times without starting it and it gave is the p0499 code before the car was started. The misfire code site not show up until it ran for a little bit. is this the fuel pump?
Old 27 Jun 2014, 08:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If your car accelerates to highway speeds, I doubt it's the fuel pump not giving enough gas for idling.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 27 Jun 2014, 11:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, this is partially thinking out loud. I know I've been home that the two codes are not connected, but what if they are? could it be possible that Rutherford the o2 sensors are dirty or faulty and causing it to throw the fault code fir Evan system, while also sending bad into to the computer causing it to send incorrect fuel mixture and cause misfire/low compression? Its over 100,000 miles without either o2 sensor being replaced. and I know o2sensor can be a possible cause for p0499 code and cab cause rough idle and p0300 code, so is this a possible cause, or would it he a waste of fine and money to clean/replace o2 sensors?
Old 27 Jun 2014, 11:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

It's always a possibility. A bad O2 sensor will cause rough idling, I replaced 1 of mine last for for this reason...but I also got the O2 code P0038.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 27 Jun 2014, 12:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I never heard that O2 sensors can cause evap control system error code. The O2 sensors are in the exhaust, the evap control system is on the fuel supply side (gas tank and lines).
The evap system code usually has no effect on the engine, it exists for air pollution control.

Old 27 Jun 2014, 01:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So, it would at least be worth considering new o2 sensors before taking the mechanics advice and replacing the whole engine? he said he checked everything that could cause low compression/misfire that he could check, but then he also didn't put it up on the lift, so I would have to believe he didn't check the o2 sensors for fouling and just went by what the computer told him.
Old 27 Jun 2014, 01:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What I'd consider is replacing the mechanic. Replacing engine for rough idle? Seriously???
Even IF your problem is low compression, that would probably be a valve problem, not a need for replacing engine.
Have fuel injectors tested for good spray pattern.