PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Limited Ed PT with maybe bad oil pump- please help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2014, 11:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 Limited Ed PT with maybe bad oil pump- please help.

I have a 2001 PT- Inferno Red Limited Edition with 168,800 miles. I love this car!!! I am the second owner and bought it with @24000 miles on it in 2003. The same shop works on the maintance work- I have regular oil changes and tire rotations, timing belt, shocks, etc.

Last summer I had to have the head gasket repaired- my regular mechanic does not do in depth work like that and outsourced it to another shop, that they recommend all the time. As soon as I got it back it had a vibration that it didn't before- like a fast idle. I have taken it back 4 times now for the same vibration - of course the noise and vibration are gone when the mechanic drives it.

On Thursday - I took son's girlfriend to work - on the way the noise and vibration started up. The engine develops a roaring noise, the wheels start to chatter and the steering wheel vibrates like crazy. If I slow down ( stoplight/ stop sign ) the noise and vibration goes away. Except yesterday- after dropping off girlfriend - the vibration came back and the car started to lose power and the oil light came on and dinged. I thought I might be able to make it back home ( 5 miles ) but then I started to loss power again. I managed to pull into a BP/ quick stop. Called hubby and a tow truck. Took it to mechanic.

Today the car started up fine and drove fine- oil level is fine, compression is fine, car has no vibration and no engine noise. Mechanics ( who works on this car ) thought it might be the oil pump going bad - of course they do not do that level of work. He is bothered by the fact that the issues started after the other shop did the work and after 4 tries can not pin point the issue.

So any clues???? I could really use some advice here. If it is the oil pump - I would have to find a reliable shop or take to dealership.

This car has never given me any trouble - I have driven it NC - Michigan and back - to Alabama- Pa, FL and it has never let me down.

Outside of the head gasket and an entire AC replacement - no other problems with the car
Old 28 Jun 2014, 05:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Limited Ed PT with maybe bad oil pump- please help.

You might want to have your mechanic check all he motor mounts and replace the Oil Pressure sensor. Both those things have been known to cause trouble. Other places to check are the front wheel bearings and drive axles. At your mileage all the above things I've mentioned (except maybe the axles) are probably due for a change. For the fast idle, have someone look over all the vacuum lines for bad connections, leaks and splits in the rubber hoses.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Jun 2014, 09:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi- the wheel bearings have been replaced, the motor mounts were checked for the vibration a couple of different times.

The reference to fast idle is what the engine sounds like when the vibration starts up. Normally - the engine is quiet.

It is very frustrating - since it does not happen on a regular basis.
Old 30 Jun 2014, 11:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Oil pump rarely goes bad, and if it did, I cannot see it causing a noisy vibration, and it would be constant.
The Oil sensor does go bad. Cheap to replace.
I'm thinking Idle Air Controller may need cleaning - it could be sticking.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles