PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating Issue Can't Pinpoint-

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2014, 05:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating Issue Can't Pinpoint-

Hello,

I have a 2001 Limited Ed PT with some overheating issues that are driving me crazy. I had a massive leak from the water pump about 2 months ago. I replaced that, the timing belt, and then the thermostat. Ran perfectly since then--UNTIL today in traffic, idling in drive with my foot on the brake, it randomly started giving off a 'bubbling' sound and the temp gauge spiked up. I immediately put it in park, which dropped the temp and stopped the noise, and was able to drive it home without any error and seemed perfectly normal. I checked the coolant, oil, trans levels and all are ok. The radiator had coolant in it as well. No noticeable leaks. All I have left to guess is that it could be air bubbles? But after 2 months since the repair how is this possible?

It seems to drive fine since then, have taken it on short 10min spins but it obviously concerned the hell out of me. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 28 Jun 2014, 06:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating Issue Can't Pinpoint-

One possibility is that the fan failed to come on when it should have. Often before it fails completely, the fan will be intermittent.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Jun 2014, 06:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I also forgot to include the fan was replaced completely as well. So I doubt its the fan.
Old 28 Jun 2014, 06:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Low speed fan relay possibly.
Old 28 Jun 2014, 06:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just checked the fluids again after a couple hours of letting it sit. No leaks under, the radiator is completely full, the coolant was however, somewhat low now(dropped probably 2 inches since last check). Is it possible the bubbling/knock during idle was the last bit of coolant going into the radiator and that caused the momentary overheat? I filled that bad boy up with coolant, almost a whole container and drove it for 10mins pretty hard, no issues. Think it was that?
Old 28 Jun 2014, 06:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I fought overheat issues on my daughters for months the bubbling noise was coolant coming out the overflow of the recovery tank on her 2001. First time arpund was the fan low speed and relay issues. About a year later started again got worse with tome, ended up being the head gasket. Good l luck. My experience unless it was hot out just driving above 35 mph would keep it in normal range, stop and go and higher temps outside would bubble.

Tags
bubbling, overheating