PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Crank no start on 02 PT

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2014, 05:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Crank no start on 02 PT

Im workin on a buddys 02 PT 2.4. It will crank but it wont start but it will try and start without the ckp sensor plugged in. Checked timing multiple times and has had an aftermarket and Chrysler cam sensor installed as well as a target magnet. With the cam and crank unplugged im getting 8V at the cam and crank sensor. when the sensors are plugged up im only getting 2-3V at the sensor. I know a little about diagnostics but im not so good at hall effect type sensors. Both sensor signal are 5V like normal but I don't know whether or not the PCM always sends out 8v to the sensors or if I could have some internal resistance issues in the pcm. I figured the reference voltage would either be there or not. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 04 Jul 2014, 06:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Crank no start on 02 PT

Have you verified timing belt is intact?
When you say "but it will try and start without the ckp sensor plugged in" - it fires a few times? Then I'd say timing belt is intact.
I don't know the answer to your voltage questions.
And, "aftermarket and Chrysler cam sensor" - which is it, or you tried both?
There are numerous reports of people getting bad aftermarket sensors and having much better luck with Chrysler sensors.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Jul 2014, 11:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

The timing belt is new and intact. We have tried both an aftermarket and a Chrysler cam sensor. With the cam sensor unplugged it will turn over and fire. one time it actually started and ran rough and then died. Im not sure if a sensor is messing with my cmp and ckp signals or its the reference voltage.
Old 07 Jul 2014, 06:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Spray a little ether in the intake, if it starts the fuel pump may be out, or fuse to it.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 07 Jul 2014, 07:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

^ i'm with him. the only time my 02 ever failed to start was when the pump died. just check the pressure with the fitting on the fuel rail, just see if there's pressure in the line or better yet, with a gauge.

did you actually check for spark as well?

or more importantly... what exactly did you guys touch on the car? did it work before stuff was changed? if so check this -see posts 2 & 5

Last edited by rob342; 07 Jul 2014 at 07:19 pm.
Old 08 Jul 2014, 04:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

@Rob 342 I talked to him and he did get the connectors for the cam and coil mixed up. They switched them back and replaced the cam sensor and target magnet after that. I am getting a strong spark and good fuel pressure with the cmp unplugged so im wondering if the ECU is causing it not to fire? Is it possible that flyback voltage from the coil damaged the module?
Old 08 Jul 2014, 04:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i'm not a mechanic so i can't answer that. from what i've seen on here, it has never fried the ECU when anyone else did it though.

i do know the magnets changed in 2002 or 2003, so compare the new one with the old one, or just put the old one back in to test it. that would cause it to spark at the wrong time.

if you put a screwdriver from an injector to your ear, can you hear it click?

are the plugs wet?

what does the exhaust pipe smell like? unburned gas? or nothing?

why did they start working on the car originally, anyways?
Old 08 Jul 2014, 04:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Check the harness for the crank and cam sensors. These have been known to cause issues do to damage from chaffing on this model.
randyincctx likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Jul 2014, 08:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Crank no start on 02 PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Check the harness for the crank and cam sensors. These have been known to cause issues do to damage from chaffing on this model.
Especially the crank sensor!....It can actually droop down,coming into contact with the transaxle,causing abrasion of the insulation,and the result can cause it to intermittently 'ground out'.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 11:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Alright guys im back. So I spent all afternoon working on this thing. So originally it overheated and they figured out it was the head gasket so they had the head checked and machined and installed it back n the car. I got pulled in when they put it back together and it wouldn't run. Today when I got there I rechecked timing with cyl1 at TDC. I also checked the target magnet and tried the original and the original cam sensor AND the aftermarket sensor. Nothing helped. oh and the new sensor was looked up by the vin at Chrysler and it was the only one listed. So I hooked it all back and unplugged the cam and started the vehicle. It idled a little rough but cleaned up with some rpm and then I noticed that the rpm would jump up a thousand rpms and drop back without engine speed changing. so then I tested circuit after circuit with inconsistent results which is most likely intermittent issue or crank sensor. I found a site online that said you could turn the crank slowly and measure the voltage change on the signal return for the cam and crank so I checked the cam first and it just stayed at 5V. so I just took the sensor and magnet off and checked by hand to make sure I caught the fields and nothing changed. So I tried all combinations of sensors and magnets and found that the aftermarket didn't register the 5 volts like the others did and then I started hearing the ASD relay clicking. I unhooked the CKP and was looking for the chaffing of the wires and started hearing the relay clicking while messing with the harness. So im assuming wiring. so after a while of fighting with it we get the harness out all the way to where it runs under the intake. Rechecked circuits and test under a load and now my brain is mush. I cut all the tape off the harness and inspected as much as I could and found nothing. the splices looked good and now I feel like I ripped out the harness for nothing. there has to be an issue somewhere so now im debating just overlaying all the wires and just go from there cause none are showing anything now that its off the vehicle. Im not sure what going on.