Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
colder plugs w/whipple

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jul 2014, 10:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default colder plugs w/whipple

was curious if i would benefit from one range colder than stock plugs with a sc. i replaced the stock exhaust and added a k&n...really woke it up. i emailed whipple but i guess they aren't sweet on the pt no more.

some crappy phone pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125782273@N05/
Old 05 Jul 2014, 03:25 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: colder plugs w/whipple

While I don't have the answer to your question. I'll be the first to say I like your setup. You don't see to many "whippled charged cars" lol just made that up. As long as its running good I'm happy for ya lol looks clean. What's the little blue light for on the steering column? Did you I stall yourself or buy it that way? Throw some gt rims on there, not some crazy aftermarket ones and be a sleeper man. I really like the sc pt cruiser lol
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 05 Jul 2014, 07:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

thank you for the kind words. the blue light is kind of a idiot/trouble code light from whipple. if i turn the key 1 click before it turns over it flashes once and then stays solid to let you know the whipple piggyback ecu is fine.

are gt rims 16"? and i do love being the sleeper in traffic.
Old 05 Jul 2014, 08:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan45 View Post

are gt rims 16"?

The GT rims are 17 inch.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Jul 2014, 08:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Spark Plug Heat range choice : This is a question that can only be answered with spark plug evaluation. No one can "guess" for you!

On many forums of all kinds this is a question that comes up and always has the arm chair experts recommending what someone should do? How can they do that without physically looking at the spark plugs or have complete DATA logging which would include timing tables, fueling EGT to name a few?

IMO If you are not having some known spark plug problem than leave them alone.

The whipple kit was designed on a NA base engine using all stock components and that includes the spark plug recommendation. The whipple only will produce about 3-5 psi boost which is not really that much to begin with.

Because of liability reason whipple will no longer talk about their long time discontinued PT Cruiser kit.

A shop I work with in Sacramento has a completely stock NA with automatic transmission close to 100k miles with an original whipple SC kit and producing 289whp. Recently they machined a custom drive gear to produce higher boost. Now they have engine tuning challenges!

The mods you mentioned improved the NA portion of the engine as if it did not have a SuperCharger so the mods are historically proven common as well the results in normal aspiration operation.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 05 Jul 2014 at 08:30 am.
Old 05 Jul 2014, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, unless you know for certain when they were last changed, it'd benefit from new plugs and wires....
I'd say try a gap of 0.040 and use Crane wires, the stock Champions aren't bad.
You should start saving for timing belt and water pump replacement, and plan for it soon.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles