PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery drain question

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2014, 08:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Battery drain question

My wife went out to start our 2004 Turbo lite the other day and was met with 'clicking'. The battery jumped fine and the car seemed ok, but the battery didn't seem to charge in driving around.

I pulled the battery and had it slow-charged overnight, after which is checked out as ok on advance auto's tester. I reinstalled it and had advance run their charging system check on it.

The charging system check didn't detect any issues, but I thought it was strange that it could not detect the engine revving.

The battery has no drained again to the point of clicking when the key is turned. The cables are corroded as others have discussed here before - should I change them or just go straight for the alternator, assuming it's an open diode causing the drain. We haven't had any phantom drain in the past and the lights have not been on. I replaced the multi-function switch last year so it isn't the fog lights.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 06 Jul 2014, 09:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Battery drain question

so I've done some more reading and it seems that the fact that the charging system test said that there wasn't excessive ripple indicates it's probably not the alternator. Given the known issues with the battery cables and the obvious corrosion I guess that I need to change those first and hope that there isn't some evil electrical gremlin hiding somewhere.
Old 06 Jul 2014, 10:04 am
Senior Cruiser

In the past when there was an open diode in the alternator it would not charge but it didn't seem to drain the battery unless driving and that was from the no charging condition.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 06 Jul 2014, 01:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'd still pull the foglight fuse temporarily to rule them out...
Concentrate on cable to starter.
randyincctx likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Jul 2014, 04:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Battery drain question

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
I'd still pull the foglight fuse temporarily to rule them out...
I second that!....Question: Have you checked to see if your fog lights still work properly?
I ask that because,even though the fog lights may not be 'on',there have been some instances of 'parasitic drain' caused by the MFS,even though the fog lights were not turning 'on'.
A couple of those with that issue turned out to be an overheated wire(or wires) in the MFS @ the connector,and NOT the MFS itself......So,you may want to remove the steering column shroud,and take a close look at the connector.

Your MFS connector may not look as bad as the photos below,but even a small amount of overheating can cause an issue,such as a 'parasitic drain':

These 2 photos are actually of an SRT4,but they use the same MFS connector as PT Cruisers:

Old 06 Jul 2014, 10:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wow! I tried the fog lights and they didn't work at all. I tried to measure the draw using my multimeter and it seemed that pulling the fuse may have done the trick. I guess I'll have to replace the switch. Again.
Old 07 Jul 2014, 10:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Battery drain question

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourlefthand View Post
Wow! I tried the fog lights and they didn't work at all. I tried to measure the draw using my multimeter and it seemed that pulling the fuse may have done the trick. I guess I'll have to replace the switch. Again.
You might want to have a go at repairing your current MFS,and you may end up with one that's better than even a new one;But you may still discover it's the connector once you tear into it.
Here's some great MFS threads to check out:

How to Repair the Multifunction Switch w/ Pictures (Fog Lights)
How to Repair the Multifunction Switch w/ Pictures (Fog Lights)
The "Handy" Aluminum Can Mod To Fix Fog Lights.

If it does turn out to be your connector,which is somewhat common(alot of PT's have these burnt).
There's supposedly a replacement for those also @ RockAuto:

Search part# 1P1610
AIRTEX / WELLS Part #1P1610 cost= $64.79
Info: More Information for AIRTEX / WELLS 1P1610

If ordering anything from RockAuto(MFS,Wiring Connectors,Etc.),they have recently posted a thread offering a 5% discount on any purchase:
RockAuto Discount Code - Expires 09/18/2014
Old 13 Jul 2014, 04:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I can't find anything wrong with the mutli-function switch. I have no idea why the fog lights aren't working, as they used to after I replaced the switch last year.

So what is the deal with battery cables? My PT is a turbo-lite. The battery cables the dealer specs are a $400 wiring harness. Any idea what the difference is between the different engine's battery cables? The battery cable assembly for a non-turbo costs $60 online.
Old 16 Jul 2014, 08:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Wow.

I started messing around with my new auto ranging digital multimeter last night and quickly found that there was a 0.05 amp draw only when the parking light fuse was installed.

I tried to charge the battery and it wouldn't take a charge. I walked it to advance auto and surprise surprise it tested as bad. Installed new battery and drove to work. Nifty new multimeter tells me that alternator is ok, battery is holding charge as long as the parking light fuse is out.
randyincctx likes this.
Old 16 Jul 2014, 09:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Can't see .05 amp draining your battery - even overnight..
5 amps, yes.

Probably have some corrosion allowing the .05 amp drain...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles