Advertisements
timing belt tensioner

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By neuner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jul 2014, 12:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default timing belt tensioner

I'm not sure if I messed up the tensioner while installing it. I tried to loosen it up as far as I could to get the timing belt on. I turned it so much that I stripped the 1/4 inch socket hole that I used to turn the tensioner. The wire was up much higher than the tension indicator at this point. After getting the belt on, I tried to turn the tensioner back to tighten the tensioner back down. It seemed to tighten back up, but the wire didn't go down level with the indicator. It just stayed in the same place. I'm worried that I messed it up. Even though the wire didn't go down level with the tension indicator, it seemed to have tension on the belt. I didn't have any trouble setting the timing. I lined up both sets of notches and rotated the the crankshaft two full turns to check the timing and it was spot on. I haven't started the car back up yet, but I'm worried that the timing tensioner is messed up. Could I have a problem?
Old 07 Jul 2014, 09:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: timing belt tensioner

Ok, we need to know what year pt or first or second design tensioner. A pic would real helpful.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Jul 2014, 10:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

It's a 2007 non-turbo, I'm pretty sure it's a second design tensioner. It has a square opening that a 1/4" ratchet can fit into. It doesn't have a hex opening. Ha, to make this even more fun for me, I put everything back together thinking "Well, the timing marks all lined up, so it's gotta be okay". I had moved the exhaust sprocket off the half mark like you are supposed to, and since the wire on the tensioner didn't move back into place, I just applied enough tension until the exhaust sprocket moved in line with the other sprocket, meaning I applied tension until the timing marks on the sprockets lined up. I rotated the crankshaft 720 degrees and everything stayed lined up. For some stupid reason, I decided to worry about this after I put everthing back together.
Old 08 Jul 2014, 01:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Turns out that it works! Despite my best efforts, I seem to have put enough tension on the belt and it works. Christ! I am happy to be done with this.
Busted_PT likes this.