Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01 limited overheating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jul 2014, 09:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01 limited overheating

my wife loaned her pt to her sister for about a month we got it back with rusty water stains under the hood, on the hood ,on the fender and windshield she denies that it ever ran hot. took it home and found the fan not working. I replaced the fan, thermostat (stant superstat), radiator cap , checked all hoses, checked for leaks and made sure all air was out of the system. now it runs good for about ten miles and runs hot. very hot very fast. when it starts getting hot it will go from normal to hot enough to blow the water out of the overflow within 2-3 minutes. and sounds like water boiling inside the engine. any suggestions on what to check next would be much appreciated.
Old 08 Jul 2014, 06:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 01 limited overheating

Not that you want to hear this, I had the same problem...it ended up being a blown head gasket.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 08 Jul 2014, 09:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the reply. that's what I was expecting to hear, now I need to find a good shop and have it checked its also past time for a timing belt, water pump and tune up. hope it don't cost more than the car is worth.
Old 08 Jul 2014, 10:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Look in radiator - is coolant murky? Brown foam under oil filler cap?
Head gasket would account for your symptoms.
Labor is about the same whether you need head gasket or just timing belt/water pump/tensioner, but head will have to be checked for no warping, and the head gasket will add to the cost.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Jul 2014, 10:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper388 View Post
thanks for the reply. that's what I was expecting to hear, now I need to find a good shop and have it checked its also past time for a timing belt, water pump and tune up. hope it don't cost more than the car is worth.
Divide the cost by 12 and see if you can pay a payment that cheap. Then think of what it cost a month for two years. Heck you pobobly loose more than that driving off the lot in deprecation plus you still have the big payment.
So how much is really about the cars worth versus cost per month to drive?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Jul 2014, 10:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

no oil in water or water in oil, oil cap and dip stick clean, water in radiator very rusty. i'm going to flush cooling system and replace thermostat again before taking it to the shop.
Old 08 Jul 2014, 11:37 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper388 View Post
no oil in water or water in oil, oil cap and dip stick clean, water in radiator very rusty. i'm going to flush cooling system and replace thermostat again before taking it to the shop.

I didn't have any fluid transfer in mine either...I replace the thermostat also I planned on doing the flush...but had a gut feeling it was something more.
Maybe you'll have better luck.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 11 Jul 2014, 02:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

flushed the cooling system today and replaced the thermostat. both engine and radiator were very dirty lot of rusty water. drove the car for about 8 miles with no problem . I will drive it for about a week to make sure before I give it back to my wife.
Old 22 Jul 2014, 04:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

after a complete flush of the cooling system (both engine and radiator) and new t,stat I have drove the car close to 200 miles with no overheating or water loss, now to flush again ,remove water and add coolant. thanks for all the help on this forum.
Old 24 Jul 2014, 05:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

guess I spoke too soon about my cruiser overheating . while out shopping for tackle my cruiser ran hot again , went to 3 sporting goods stores and stopped to get something to eat ,while waiting at the drive thru it ran hot very hot very fast . from normal to the light flashing and the bell dinging in less than two minutes. now to decide whether to fix it or part it out.