PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lost timing belt at 70mph; now low compression

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jul 2014, 11:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Lost timing belt at 70mph; now low compression

Hi. I have been visiting your forum for some time and have found great advise. I am now in need of some expert help. I have been the victim of a defective water pump and am reeling from the consequences. Three years ago in 2011 I broke the factory timing belt driving about 35mph and replaced it. I replaced the water pump because of the unique opportunity to do so. I bought the best one with the lifetime warranty. Things went well and I was back up in a day. Now, three years later, I have discovered that the water pump's rear belt guide has slipped loose, grinding my belt down by 40% and finally breaking it in half. It also carved a groove in the water pump housing, leaving a very sharp edge. My wife was going about 65mph when it snapped. She heard only a 'pop' and the engine stopped running.
I removed all the things necessary and replaced the timing belt, idler wheel, tensioner, cam shaft seals and belt. I also replaced the motor mount and recently, both torque arrestor arms. So far so good.

I went to check that the engine turns over before I put all the gak back together. It did not. I got one or two 'coughs' (little puff of smoke out of the exhaust manifold). Not knowing if I was 180 degrees out of phase with the cams, I pulled the belt and rotated the crank shaft one rotation. (I am getting good at this - took less than 10 min this time). This time it did even less.

I borrowed a compression tester from my neighbor (a master mechanic and instructor, but no specific Chrysler experience) and got disappointing results: 25-40-25-75. I rotated the crank shaft one turn again (back where I started) and got even worse numbers.

Before I break this puppy down any further, I wanted to know if I was missing anything here. I am going to do another compression check later today (to see if my technique was flawed) and probably rotate it back to the other side to verify. Is there an easy way to know if I have the right position without guessing?

I will post the image of the water pump.
http://www.millerit.com/for_images/02PT01.jpg
Also the belt.
http://www.millerit.com/for_images/02PT02.jpg
Old 08 Jul 2014, 01:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Lost timing belt at 70mph; now low compression

Make sure you have the cam sprockets on the correct faceing side arrows up on both and notches pointing at each other. Crank pointing at the arrow. If they are pointing at the line up marks you will be in time. You wouldn't bend valves on all cylinders. If you did, your readings would be even lower IMO! Check that you didn't shear a line up pin on one of the cams. This could cause the valves to be out of time. Lower compression would result. Pics of the line up of every thing would be helpfull.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 08 Jul 2014 at 01:31 pm.
Old 08 Jul 2014, 01:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

This thread might help.
Correct Timing Belt timing ? With pictures

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 08 Jul 2014, 01:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Love to. See links:
http://www.millerit.com/for_images/02PT03.jpg
http://www.millerit.com/for_images/02PT04.jpg
I removed cams of course and they seem identical. Is there a chance they are backward?
Old 08 Jul 2014, 01:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion7718 View Post
Or go to the how to section in the tech & performance section and look at the HARMONIC BALANCER REMOVAL. Better pic of the timing there.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Jul 2014, 01:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion7718 View Post
So the rear one is upside down? I did not see that little micro-notch before. Then again, it does say "this side up". Thank you, I will repost when I correct this. (Feeling like a bit of a dumbass, but had two auto mechanics looking over my shoulder and they were nodding that it was right.)

Last edited by knightlingbugg; 08 Jul 2014 at 01:58 pm.
Old 08 Jul 2014, 01:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The rear cam is 180* out arrow pointing down I would bet

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Jul 2014, 03:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Progress, but not there yet. I corrected the rear cam position and put the intake manifold and spark plugs back. I turned the key and got a brief ignition and then it stopped by itself. Subsequent key turns did not do anything.

What do I look for next?

Last edited by knightlingbugg; 08 Jul 2014 at 03:29 pm.
Old 08 Jul 2014, 03:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlingbugg View Post
Progress, but not there yet. I corrected the rear cam position and put the intake manifold and spark plugs back. I turned the key and got a brief ignition and then it stopped by itself. Subsequent key turns did not do anything.

Someone told me that the crank might be out of phase because it turns two rotations to one for the cams. Is this what I try to fix next?
That won't do anything. If it is pointing at the mark that is correct. Make sure that the cams are right. I have seen where some have sheared the pin on one of the cams. Sprocket will look right but cam is out of time.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Jul 2014, 03:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Also check your compression again. To be sure you didn't bend a valve in one of the cylinders.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com