PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Can you get rubber hose to splice AC line?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By unioncreek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2014, 11:29 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Can you get rubber hose to splice AC line?

I'm having trouble finding an AC line for my daughters 04 PT Cruiser. The rubber hose on the line has a hole in it and it's losing freon. This line has pipe on both ends and I'm wonder if you can get AC rated hose at a parts store. The line is the one from the top of the compressor that runs up to the shock tower and then bolts to a block. There are no ports on it, it's the larger of the two lines, I believe it's the discharge line.

Bob
Old 09 Jul 2014, 12:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Can you get rubber hose to splice AC line?

Bob,

You can buy rubber AC line that is made to work with hose clamps. I've used it on big trucks with retro-fit hang-on AC way back in the day when love was still free and freon was $0.89 a can. But I've never seen it hold for more than a few months or just one summer at best. Even on the low-pressure side, most types of freon have molecules that are just too small to stay sealed in with a hose clamp subjected to vibration.

With today's cost of freon, I highly recommend replacing the entire factory AC line with a new one plus all new o-rings from some place like Autozone or O'Riellys. If you are really a do-it-yourselfer, Autozone also has the vacuum pump and gauges on their loaner tool program so you can recharge the system yourself. I do my own, but a leaned how to repair AC in an actual shop when I was fifteen. For most folks, law, medicine and AC work is often best left to professionals.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 Jul 2014 at 12:06 pm.
Old 09 Jul 2014, 12:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Can you get rubber hose to splice AC line?

I finally went to Chrysler and they found a number, wanted a $100 for it. Took the number and was able to find one at Oriellys for $40. Oriellys couldn't find it by looking it by the vehicle, but the Chrysler number brought it up. He thought their system must have a glitch in it.

Ordered it and should be in tomorrow morning. My daughter will be glad, it's been over 100 and she has a hard time with all the heat.

Bob
Handy_Cruiser likes this.