PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Engine / Advice / Rant / Help

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2014, 07:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default New Engine / Advice / Rant / Help

Not sure what to do. Looking for advice/ help/ just want to rant.

My 05 convertbile, 36K miles had to be towed to my mechanic last week. He finally got back to me today and said I needed a new engine. Damm
He put it thru all the compression tests and all indications that the engine had overheated and the head was cooked and the pistons were shot.
This is a little over my head. He said it was not worth rebuilding and suggested a new remanufacture engine from Jaspers 3 years 100K warrranty.
$6500 for the job.

This is what I know. I came home one morning and when I open the garage door notice that something was not right with my right exhaust pipe. It was push in about 3 inches. I move the car out of the garage and put in on a set of ramps. Notice that the tailpipe rubber hanger was missing and was hanging by steel wire. Also notice damage to my front right wheel that was scrape up. When I open the hood notice some coolant was dry around the cap. The cap was loose. I thought at the time I might not have put it back on right after I plastic dip the cap. I power wash the engine bay and let it run while doing the cleaning. I was going to purchase some coolant but decide since it was never change that I was going to take it to my mechanic for a coolant change and repair the rear exhaust pipe. Move it back into the garage. It sat for a week. When I tried to take it to the shop it would not start and had to have it towed.

Now what I don't know for sure what happen. I found out during the two weeks that my 26 year old heroin addict son broke into the house and was able to find my keys and took the car without my knowledge. It you ever dealt with an addict you would know you can't believe anything they say. I can go on forever with all the issues he has cause to our family but thats for another forum.

So I am sitting here wondering what to do. Fix it, junk it, strip it for all the parts. Is there anything I need to ask my mechanic to recheck to verify I really need a new engine?

I guess I need some help and advice.
2004 Dream Cruiser / 5 speed Traded for 12 Veloster
2003 GT / Blue / Auto /sold
2001 Touring/ Silver / 5 speed /sold on E Bay
Old 09 Jul 2014, 07:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New Engine / Advice / Rant / Help

Sure sounds like your son blew the heck out of the engine and and crashed into one or more objects somehow managed to get it back in the garage. It's really up to you if you want to put out the cash to fix it but one thing for sure, your son needs professional help. I'd also LOCK up ALL the keys to your cars when you not around. Good luck.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Jul 2014, 07:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Sure sounds like your son blew the heck out of the engine and and crashed into one or more objects somehow managed to get it back in the garage. It's really up to you if you want to put out the cash to fix it but one thing for sure, your son needs professional help. I'd also LOCK up ALL the keys to your cars when you not around. Good luck.
Kid has been to rehab 4 times. Locks keep honest people out.

One thing I do want to add. The engine costs $4100 from Jaspers.
Anyone have a trusted source for less?
Old 09 Jul 2014, 07:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You could also try a salvage yard for a used engine but you take your chances. They should have some sort of warranty and some places like LKQ will install them also.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Jul 2014, 08:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i would pull the head and see what the pistons look like. a new head is far cheaper. these blocks seem pretty darn durable to me. i beat the hell outta mine. if the pistons look OK you can have it towed in for a new cylinder head.

as for not starting, if you mean the battery was dead maybe he nodded off somewhere and it went dead, or maybe he ran it dead restarting it and trying to drive the injured car home. heat kills batteries, low voltage kills batteries, etc.. if the battery was good and it wouldn't start, it may be coolant in the chambers fouling the plugs, or the coil or cam sensor failed due to the heat.

personally if it were my car i would be looking into a new battery and a new head. -and even though you likely wanna kill the boy, i wish your son the best with his problem.

Last edited by rob342; 09 Jul 2014 at 08:49 pm.
Old 09 Jul 2014, 08:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'd get a 2nd opinion, but that will cost more money. If you trust your mechanic & have used them before you might be able to get some kind of discount.
If you buy an engine from the junkyard, you'll save some money, but it would be a bad idea to install it without replacing the timing belt & water pump.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 09 Jul 2014, 09:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Just put a 60,000 mile recycle motor in my project, $850+ timing belt, water pump and idler. I would think if you lookl around you could find someone to replace it for $500 to *$800 labor
Or look in Craigslist.org for a wreck that someone is selling the motor, I usually start looking car-parts.com for who might have the motor close and prices.
Probably going to need exhaust too and hope there is no frame damage if wheel is bent.
Maybe insurance might take cover it. Good luck.
Sorry to hear about your son.

I'm a nut my self, I probably would start looking for the people that sell to him and make their life miserable or shorter.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 10 Jul 2014, 12:46 am
Cool Cruiser

thanks for the replies.
I ran into one of techs here at work who had work on one of my cars in the past.
He pretty sure that turbo pistons are not shot. Going to get it tow to his shop on Friday. He's going to start with the pulling the head and go from there.
He's looking at a worse case use engine replacement $ 2500 total.
Feel a lot better thanks for letting me rant.
Old 10 Jul 2014, 04:37 am
Veteran Cruiser

That's a big difference in price, I don't remember you saying it was a turbo before...anyway, glad it worked out.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 21 Jul 2014, 06:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Happy to say pick up the car today. New head, timing belt, water pump.
He charge me $1800 with the tow. Did me a big favor for that price.
Car running better than before so far. He doesn't think my son's joy ride was the cause of the blown head. Thought it was an ongoing issue.
Since the car is 10 years old a timing belt was on the list to be done. So for a little bit more everything was done. No complaints here. He wanted to get it finish for the show this week, Watkins Glenn, so I could still attend.
Thanks for all your help.