Advertisements
How do I get this gear off?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2014, 03:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How do I get this gear off?

Hi,

I have a 2001 Pt Cruiser 2.4L NA. I had a rod knocking, and am rebuilding the motor. I have the crank out, but I can't seem to get the gear off of it. Any suggestions, or techniques, would be greatly appreciated. Here are a couple of pictures of the gear that I am talking about.

Thanks in Advance
Old 16 Jul 2014, 05:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How do I get this gear off?

Most likely presses off. Can you just leave it on.? Someone else may have a better answer soon.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Jul 2014, 05:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am putting in a new crankshaft and wanted to use the gear. I can order another sprocket for $10, but it is holding me up to rebuild and get it back in. Yes, i know you can eliminate it for more HP at a cost of more vibration, but I don't think my 70 yr. old mother cares much for +10hp lol.
Old 16 Jul 2014, 05:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I found this info online:

Underneath the pump you will see the driving shaft sprocket. Take the sturdy screwdrivers and slowly work away the sprocket. Do this gently as to not mess with the crank geometry and create crankshaft-end play. If this happens you will run a greater tendency to spin some rod and main bearing. 5. With the sprocket loose remove the shaft carrier in one complete piece along with shaft driving sprocket altogether. The carrier is removed by unscrewing the main bolts that connect the carrier to the bedplate.

It comes from Balance Shaft Removal How-To, but so far "working" it with a screwdriver isn't "working" LOL
Old 16 Jul 2014, 06:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by domsob1974 View Post
I found this info online:

Underneath the pump you will see the driving shaft sprocket. Take the sturdy screwdrivers and slowly work away the sprocket. Do this gently as to not mess with the crank geometry and create crankshaft-end play. If this happens you will run a greater tendency to spin some rod and main bearing. 5. With the sprocket loose remove the shaft carrier in one complete piece along with shaft driving sprocket altogether. The carrier is removed by unscrewing the main bolts that connect the carrier to the bedplate.

It comes from Balance Shaft Removal How-To, but so far "working" it with a screwdriver isn't "working" LOL
You loose low end torque as well. Pm Nitro_PT. He will know.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Jul 2014, 07:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

See if you can rent a hub puller with real long "fingers".

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Jul 2014, 07:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

As the teeth look quite worn I my self would install new
Old 17 Jul 2014, 10:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just ended up ordering a new one. $19.12 inc. shipping is less of a headache then trying to find a press or long tooth puller. Thanks!!!!
Old 17 Jul 2014, 10:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by domsob1974 View Post
I just ended up ordering a new one. $19.12 inc. shipping is less of a headache then trying to find a press or long tooth puller. Thanks!!!!
Good choice.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 12:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I was curious about the excessive ware. I didn't see anything to be concerned with. But how do you plan to get the new one on?

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com