PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Electrical Issue?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jul 2014, 09:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Electrical Issue?

I have a strange issue that I can't quite wrap my head around. I'm not sure if everything is related or not...

The biggest issue is that the AC seems to have a mind of its own. When I turn it on, sometimes it cools, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it cools, then stops, then cools again, then stops. At least once the AC seemed to not be working so I just rolled down the windows and turned the vent to allow air to come in from outside. The air was clearly cold like the AC was running so I turned on just the fan (not the AC). The AC ran like that (without being on) for an hour until it froze over and no air would come through. I stopped the car, turned it off, let the AC thaw out and the AC finally decided to turn off.

Also, on this same trip, the doors just unlocked while driving down the road. I always have trouble getting the cruise control to engage and it seems to pulse if I use it to slow down. The stereo also shorts out for a moment occasionally. I have not checked the connections on the back of the stereo and it is not the factory stereo. The rear windows have not worked for years but before they stopped all together they were intermittent. The controllers for the rear windows was replaced and worked for a very short time before failing again. I don't know if these last things are in any way related to the AC issue.

I have a 2001 non turbo. I recently had the compressor for the AC (and I believe a switch for the fan) replaced but the intermittent issue with the AC had already started. There seems to be very little air coming through the vents whether I have just the fan or the AC on.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Last edited by TheAstronomer; 17 Jul 2014 at 09:28 am.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 10:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Electrical Issue?

For your first problem, there's a switch on top of the accumulator called the Low Pressure Switch or Recycling Switch and it stops the from freezing things up. This switch does go bad (did it to me) and when it does, the compressor never shuts off and things get so cold that that freeze. the switch can be replaced without loosing any R134a but be careful when tightening the switch down because there's an "O" ring on the bottom threads that will tear if you tighten it too much.

For the other problems, you might want to go over all the grounding wires on the car. Also check and electrical connections from the battery to make sure they are good and tight and no corrosion on any of the ends of the cables/wires. The PT does some funny things when the full power of the battery isn't making good contact.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 10:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'm glad you mentioned the battery....

Here's something else I forgot to mention. At one point, the batter cable corroded to the point that it broke off. I replaced it with the recommended cable from my local auto parts store but it didn't quite match. I would not guarantee that the connection is 100% sound because there was a clamp that I had to push the wires from the car in to and squeeze. The problem was... the clamp wasn't big enough for all of the wires to fit securely into it. I connected them the best I could, squeezed and the car started. I was happy but wondered if it would be an issue.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 11:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You may have found your problem.
TheAstronomer likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 11:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Any ideas where I can get the oem or equivalent cable that I need? I would really feel better about replacing it with the correct cable. It is doing some crazy stuff with the AC.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 11:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, one member just priced a new set of cables and it seems that Chrysler wants you to buy a whole new wiring harness for a lot of money. Not a good idea but I really don't know of an alternative right off hand.

Old 17 Jul 2014, 12:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm just going to get the cables through the local dealer. I can get them the next day and they are $75. I'd rather just solve that aspect of the possible issue.
Old 22 Jul 2014, 07:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
For your first problem, there's a switch on top of the accumulator called the Low Pressure Switch or Recycling Switch and it stops the from freezing things up. This switch does go bad (did it to me) and when it does, the compressor never shuts off and things get so cold that that freeze. the switch can be replaced without loosing any R134a but be careful when tightening the switch down because there's an "O" ring on the bottom threads that will tear if you tighten it too much.

For the other problems, you might want to go over all the grounding wires on the car. Also check and electrical connections from the battery to make sure they are good and tight and no corrosion on any of the ends of the cables/wires. The PT does some funny things when the full power of the battery isn't making good contact.
So I got the cables and put the the long red one in with no problem. I couldn't get the other one connected because I couldn't get the bolt connecting it to the frame of the car off (yet). So, when I'm not dying from this cough/cold whatever it is, I'll get that one in as well. With just the one replaced (which was the one from before that I didn't like the way the non-oem cable connected) it seems better. When I turn on the AC, every time it cools. It still stops cooling for moments while I drive but it at least gets to the point of cooling every time. Before, it would sometimes never even try to cool. It still feels like the car is sluggish at times when I run the AC. It also seemed sluggish this morning when I ran the AC and radio. Also, it seems to have almost 0 capability to cool while accelerating.

I forgot to mention (because it happened so long ago) but the very first electrical issue I had was with the fog lights. They also seemed to have a mind of their own. I would turn them off and they would go off, get in to work and someone would tell me they were on. I would turn them off, the next shift would come in and tell me they were on. Finally, I just pulled the fuse out so they would stay off. That was probably 9 years ago. lol

You mentioned checking all of the grounds which I would totally do but I have a hard time understanding the electrical diagrams I have. Can you point me in the right direction?

It seems like the car struggles to get power to everything that needs it at the same time. Could there be some issue with the battery that would cause that? Or does it seem more likely it's in the power distribution box? Or neither?
Old 22 Jul 2014, 07:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Your problem with the fog lights is common - it's the switch (stalk) on the steering column know as the "multi-function switch".
Easy to replace.
TheAstronomer likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Jul 2014, 07:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Your problem with the fog lights is common - it's the switch (stalk) on the steering column know as the "multi-function switch".
Easy to replace.
Would that possibly be the window washer and cruise control issue also?

Tags
a/c, air conditioning, electrical problems, fan