PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
California, California

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2004, 07:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default California, California

Hello all,

I am new to the performance arena. I was looking into the Hahn Turbocharger kit but its not street legal here in California.. I like the fact that the Hahn kits were upgradable for future add ons. So my only option now is a whipple supercharger. The guy from Whipple told me that I don't have to add anything to the engine for more performance and if I didn't it could affect the supercharger. Any of you guys already go threw this setup? How do you like your whipple?

Thanks,

Donny
Old 20 Apr 2004, 08:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Why is it not street legal? Emissions?
Anyway, i have the Whipple on my 2001. I love it. It took quite a lot of work to tune and get the upgrades from Whipple, but it is definitely a lot quicker than stock. I got it dynoed and didn't get what they quote,220, but it was close.
Whipple Supercharger, BTG springs, Tokico shocks/struts, B&M short shifter, chrome GT 17" wheels, darkened tail lights, Chrome Grille, fuel door and vent knobs, painted bumpers, mirrors, airdam and center console, cueball shifter, Polk audio system w/ XM, Magnaflow muffler
Old 20 Apr 2004, 08:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pat1USMC

Why is it not street legal? Emissions?
Anyway, i have the Whipple on my 2001. I love it. It took quite a lot of work to tune and get the upgrades from Whipple, but it is definitely a lot quicker than stock. I got it dynoed and didn't get what they quote,220, but it was close.
Hey Pat,

Yeah, the hahn kit can't get smogged. He said they don't sell enought kits for PT Cruisers to make a special one for california What did you have to get tuned? What upgrades do they have or did you get?

Thanks,

Donny
Old 20 Apr 2004, 10:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well, i've posted this before somewhere, but to alleviate a lot of trouble, call Whipple, and ask them where the nearest approved installer is in your area. Mine was 3 hours away, so I let a Chrysler dealer do it. Wrong move. They didn't do it right and ended up having to go to the guy 3 hours away anyway after trying my luck with several other shops. Then there was the computer upgrade and the new 'baffle' installation. Those upgrades from Whipple helped a lot, but i guess if you were to buy the kit now, those would be included.
Also, if you're not too attached to your PT, like me, think about trading yours in for a GT. I'm sure you could get a great deal on one right now. It would probably be a lot easier to do, might even be cheaper, and you'd get the stronger transmission and larger exhaust. I "had" to buy the BTG catback exhaust for mine.
Good luck!
Whipple Supercharger, BTG springs, Tokico shocks/struts, B&M short shifter, chrome GT 17" wheels, darkened tail lights, Chrome Grille, fuel door and vent knobs, painted bumpers, mirrors, airdam and center console, cueball shifter, Polk audio system w/ XM, Magnaflow muffler
Old 21 Apr 2004, 08:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pat1USMC

think about trading yours in for a GT. I'm sure you could get a great deal on one right now. It would probably be a lot easier to do, might even be cheaper, and you'd get the stronger transmission and larger exhaust. I "had" to buy the BTG catback exhaust for mine.
Good luck!
And it's warrantied and smogged. For less money, there's the 180 HP turbo. They are cutting some good deals.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 Apr 2004, 08:42 am
Senior Cruiser

The GT is 220 HP Turbo

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 21 Apr 2004, 12:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey all,

I am pretty attached to my PT. I don't want to go threw the trouble of getting another payment Do you guys think BTG exhaust is better than Borla? I was looking at the 2.5 Borla cat/back. It fits to the stock cat at 2 1/4. PT-Tuning says there exhaust flow better than theres... Any of you guys go to that PT party in Old Town, San Diego?

Donny
Old 21 Apr 2004, 01:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jimbo

The GT is 220 HP Turbo
I know, but there is a 180HP turbo, that is the same as the GT engine, only "chipped" for regular gas, that's cheaper.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 01:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by virtuadc

Hey all,
I am pretty attached to my PT. I don't want to go threw the trouble of getting another payment Do you guys think BTG exhaust is better than Borla? I was looking at the 2.5 Borla cat/back. It fits to the stock cat at 2 1/4. PT-Tuning says there exhaust flow better than theres... Any of you guys go to that PT party in Old Town, San Diego?
Donny
If you're talking duals, I believe the Borla is like the Bassani, in that it "dumps" all the exhaust into the muffler in stock location, then routes a pipe back to the passenger side. The BTG has a "Y" pipe splitting the exhaust evenly.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 01:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by virtuadc

Hey all,
Donny
If you're talking duals, I believe the Borla is like the Bassani, in that it "dumps" all the exhaust into the muffler in stock location, then routes a pipe back to the passenger side. The BTG has a "Y" pipe splitting the exhaust evenly.
Hey Don,

I am liking the BTG's.. maybe its because of the design, or sound of them. I haven't heard the Borlas..

Donny