Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Died, Won't Start, No Codes...HELP!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2014, 10:36 am
Young Cruiser

Default Died, Starts W/Ether, Dies, No Codes...HELP!

Well, the wife's little 06 crapped out this morning. A couple weeks ago she started it, it idled a little rough, she shut it right back off and then restarted it and it ran perfectly. I did the "key dance" and got a p0303 and p0325, #3 misfire and PCM Knock Sensor Circuit codes.

Did a little reading and found nothing that said it would hurt to drive it so she keep driving it and of course, since it had restarted and run several times since the error codes...they cleared and the little car has run perfectly for a couple weeks.

This morning, she came to a stop and it began idling rough and when she took off...it died. Now it won't start. Cranks fine, the magnet under the cam sensor is spinning fine, it...if my household circuit EMF detector is right...is getting fire to the NEW plugs and wires and I can hear the NEW fuel pump coming on when the key is turned on. But it is NOT giving me any error codes.

HELP!!!

Anyone have any suggestions for the quickest things to check first? Oh, and will the PCM Knock Sensor cause it not to start?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

EDIT:

Ok...situation has changed. I...just cause I'm hard headed, went out and sprayed starter fluid in the intake AGAIN...and it STARTED! Idled rough and then died again, but it started.

Given that the fuel pump is less than 2 months old and I can hear it coming on, does anyone have any thoughts on a QUICK check in the fuel system?

I posted this below, but I thought I'd save some dyslectic the headache of reading the rest of it if they didn't want to. ;~)

RESOLVED!

Yep, fixed it. It WAS the fuel pump. So after I replaced the new aftermarket pump with the factory one...cranked about 3 revolutions and she's purring like a kitten. COOL!!!

Last edited by JDB; 19 Jul 2014 at 11:40 pm. Reason: To change title and update! RESOLVED!!!
Old 18 Jul 2014, 10:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Died, Won't Start, No Codes...HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB View Post
Well, the wife's little 06 crapped out this morning. A couple weeks ago she started it, it idled a little rough, she shut it right back off and then restarted it and it ran perfectly. I did the "key dance" and got a p0303 and p0325, #3 misfire and PCM Knock Sensor Circuit codes.

Did a little reading and found nothing that said it would hurt to drive it so she keep driving it and of course, since it had restarted and run several times since the error codes...they cleared and the little car has run perfectly for a couple weeks.

This morning, she came to a stop and it began idling rough and when she took off...it died. Now it won't start. Cranks fine, the magnet under the cam sensor is spinning fine, it...if my household circuit EMF detector is right...is getting fire to the NEW plugs and wires and I can hear the NEW fuel pump coming on when the key is turned on. But it is NOT giving me any error codes.

HELP!!!

Anyone have any suggestions for the quickest things to check first? Oh, and will the PCM Knock Sensor cause it not to start?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Given your situation I can only guess at it and say cam or crank sensor. Just a guess.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Jul 2014, 10:49 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Given your situation I can only guess at it and say cam or crank sensor. Just a guess.
Yeah...those would be a good guess to my way of thinking Busted. However, I would have thought they would have caused it to throw error codes?

My FIRST thought was timing belt, but the magnet turns....THANKFULLY! ;~)

Is there any way to check the sensors? Will simply unplugging them bypass them and let it start if they are bad?
Old 18 Jul 2014, 10:54 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post

Even though you were having other problems & it died, you might want to check the starter.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 18 Jul 2014, 11:11 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion7718 View Post
Even though you were having other problems & it died, you might want to check the starter.
Yeah...it cranks over fine lion. Starter spins it like a top. And the car was running as good as it has since we bought it new after I replaced the catalytic converter a couple months ago, except for the one incident a couple weeks ago which cleared up immediately.

So...it's kind of confusing.
Old 18 Jul 2014, 11:21 am
Young Cruiser

Ok...situation has changed. I...just cause I'm hard headed, went out and sprayed starter fluid in the intake AGAIN...and it STARTED! Idled rough and then died again, but it started.

Given that the fuel pump is less than 2 months old and I can hear it coming on, does anyone have any thoughts on a QUICK check in the fuel system?
Old 18 Jul 2014, 11:31 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:

Make sure fuel is getting to the injectors...before you pull 1 to check, you can dump a few bottle of injector cleaner in gas tank...shoot more starter fluid in intake & start it up.

Old 18 Jul 2014, 01:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion7718 View Post
Make sure fuel is getting to the injectors...before you pull 1 to check, you can dump a few bottle of injector cleaner in gas tank...shoot more starter fluid in intake & start it up.
Got any ideas on the easiest way to check that fuel is getting to the fuel rail, Lion?
Old 18 Jul 2014, 02:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

A bad camshaft sensor can cause issues but not show up with the key dance. I know this because my 09 went into limp mode and was bucking and idling very rough but when i did the key dance no codes showed up even though the CEL was on. I have a code reader and it identified the issue.
Old 18 Jul 2014, 03:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Got any ideas on the easiest way to check that fuel is getting to the fuel rail, Lion?
Actually, I don't, you have to relieve the pressure & after that there is no easy way to get to the fuel line to the rail or an injector...I posted before I thought about how hard the PT can be sometimes.