PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Electrical Gremlin in Light Switch

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2014, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Electrical Gremlin in Light Switch

I just purchased a 2003 model, and am really enjoying it. The car does not seem to have fog lights (there are lights in the front end, down low in the stock air dam, but there is no fog light switch on the stalk). But the "Fog Light" Indicator light in the instrument panel stays on all the time, whether the power is turned on or not. In other words, even with the ignition key removed, the indicator light stays on. My concern is drain on the battery if the car sits too long. It hasn't happened yet, but I have been starting and driving it daily. Anyone had this or a similar problem? And since I am new to this forum, I'd appreciate any advice on locating a wiring diagram for my model.
Thanks.

OldPTGuy
Old 18 Jul 2014, 12:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Electrical Gremlin in Light Switch

Pull the fuse to the fog lights, that should turn off the light.
My 2006 has fog lights also, but not on the switch cause someone switched it out & I haven't replaced it yet with the right multi-function switch.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 18 Jul 2014, 02:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Lion7718, thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid it's not that easy. There is no fuse for fog lights.

If I push in on the stalk of the multi-function switch (AKA the light switch), the fog light indicator light in the instrument panel goes out. But as soon as I release pressure on the end of the stalk, it comes back on.
Old 18 Jul 2014, 03:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPTGuy View Post
Lion7718, thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid it's not that easy. There is no fuse for fog lights.

If I push in on the stalk of the multi-function switch (AKA the light switch), the fog light indicator light in the instrument panel goes out. But as soon as I release pressure on the end of the stalk, it comes back on.
I thought you posted that you didn't have the fog light button on the MFW...

Front Fog Light Fuse Fuse #8

Last edited by LionPT; 18 Jul 2014 at 03:10 pm.
Old 18 Jul 2014, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

When I said the indicator light would go out whenever I pushed in on the stalk, I did not believe I had the fog light button on the stalk. I had just been jiggling and moving the entire stalk in all directions to see what effect that had on the indicator light. And I noticed that pressing in on the stalk made the light go out.The markings on the stalk out at the end which indicate how to turn on the fog lights were worn and not visible.

However, I just went out to the car and looked at the switch in direct sun light, and I can indeed see the faint markings on the stalk for fog light activation. They had been pretty much worn off from age/use. And after watching the video you posted (thanks very much for that!) I see how to turn on the fog lights. Up until watching the video, I had not really understood what you actually did to turn on the fog lights. The owner's manual does a poor job of explaining it..although the manual would probably be satisfactory if one can see the markings on the stalk for fog light activation. I hope all that that makes sense.

So now this is my situation: There is still no fuse in the #21 slot, so I have no fog lights. But the indicator light stays on. My guess is that the prior owner had the same problem as the guy in the video you posted - the fog lights stayed on, so instead of replacing the MFW, he just pulled #21 fuse, and although the fog lights became inoperative, the indicator light still stays on. I'm guessing that's because the indicator light is not on #21 fuse, but on the fuse for the instrument lights and gauges, etc. Doesn't that make sense? It looks like I need to replace my switch. So that video is REALLY appreciated!
Old 18 Jul 2014, 10:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
So now this is my situation: There is still no fuse in the #21 slot, so I have no fog lights. But the indicator light stays on. My guess is that the prior owner had the same problem as the guy in the video you posted - the fog lights stayed on, so instead of replacing the MFW, he just pulled #21 fuse, and although the fog lights became inoperative, the indicator light still stays on. I'm guessing that's because the indicator light is not on #21 fuse, but on the fuse for the instrument lights and gauges, etc. Doesn't that make sense? It looks like I need to replace my switch. So that video is REALLY appreciated!

It's fuse #8...fuse #21 is the UK version of the PT...after the 1st post he mentions that.

Old 18 Jul 2014, 11:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for clarifying that point. Regardless, slots for both #21 and #8 are empty.

I do appreciate your input.
Old 19 Jul 2014, 07:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The lights down low below the bumper are the fogs - are they lit??? if you put a fuse in # 8 do they come on?
RockAuto has good prices on Multi-function switch.
If you are handy, there's a repair if you take the switch apart.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Jul 2014, 10:32 am
Veteran Cruiser

Are you in the US or elsewhere (Europe)?

In the US, the fog-light fuse is #8 in the dash fuse block (by your left knee).
There isn't a fuse #21 there. In the export PT's with headlight leveling feature, the under-hood PDC fuse #22 (on my schematic) is the fog-light fuse. Fuse #21 is labeled as fuel pump fuse. In the PDC, fuse #8 is the rear-window defogger circuit.

For both US and export cars, a correctly MFS sends power out from MFS connector pin #14. Two parallel circuit light-blue wires are connected to that pin. One runs to the fog lights; the other to the dash indicator light. The dash light can illuminate regardless of condition of fog-lights. If the green dash light is on, either all is normal and the fog lights are on or there is a problem with the MFS. Check for voltage at MFS connector pin #13. If power is there, then the fuse is in place. If no power, there is a short somewhere, likely in the MFS.

In first picture below, the arrow-head "F" to C106 goes to fog-lights (not shown).

Quote:

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 09:58 am.
Old 19 Jul 2014, 10:40 am
Veteran Cruiser

I'm thinking the switch is broke & won't shut off. The light comes on saying they're on but both of his fog light bulbs are blown.