Advertisements
Need help with my Cruiser

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2014, 02:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Need help with my Cruiser

So my 05 pt cruiser had been overheating. I changed out the thermostat(it was definitely bad), replaced the fan fuse and relay, replaced the radiator cap and yet it still would over heat when stopped in traffic, going up hills and going over 60mph. I caved and went and had it diagnosed because my fan would still come on. They told me my fan was getting power but the fan was bad. Seeing as I had already bought the new fan assembly just to be on the safe side I went ahead and had it changed out. Today was the first time I drove it since I had it changed yesterday and it was doing fine for about 20 miles and as I was approaching my school it started to overheat and turning the heat on didn't drop it down. I parked it and turned it off...when I turned it on(without cranking it) my check engine light began flashing 10 times and then went back solid. I saw your post about turning it on off on off on and looking at the odometer and when I did that it just said donE. I'm at a complete loss for what's going on with my car. And I was just wondering if you had any advice as to what could be happening.
Old 22 Jul 2014, 02:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Please help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookiebear View Post
So my 05 pt cruiser had been overheating. I changed out the thermostat(it was definitely bad), replaced the fan fuse and relay, replaced the radiator cap and yet it still would over heat when stopped in traffic, going up hills and going over 60mph. I caved and went and had it diagnosed because my fan would still come on. They told me my fan was getting power but the fan was bad. Seeing as I had already bought the new fan assembly just to be on the safe side I went ahead and had it changed out. Today was the first time I drove it since I had it changed yesterday and it was doing fine for about 20 miles and as I was approaching my school it started to overheat and turning the heat on didn't drop it down. I parked it and turned it off...when I turned it on(without cranking it) my check engine light began flashing 10 times and then went back solid. I saw your post about turning it on off on off on and looking at the odometer and when I did that it just said donE. I'm at a complete loss for what's going on with my car. And I was just wondering if you had any advice as to what could be happening.
1) You should start your own thread or at least add to an overheating thread.
2) The check engine light not giving a code could mean problem was temporary
3) With it cooled down, open radiator and look in - add distilled water if it is low, then check overflow bottle and put distilled water in there.
4) That it overheated doing over 60 indicates a problem with either flow thru the radiator or a worn water pump.
5) To rule out head gasket, have a test done.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Jul 2014, 03:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need help with my Cruiser

OK Don, moved Bookiebear to his own post now and deleted the duplicate post.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Jul 2014, 04:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Need help with my Cruiser

With the list of all the work done,leaving plenty of opportunity for air to get into the system.......I didn't hear any mention of bleeding the air out of the cooling system when done?.....Do you hear any 'gurgling' or 'chugging' sounds from the radiator when overheated?