Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission going into Limp Mode

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2014, 03:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission going into Limp Mode

I'm new to this site, not to my car acting like a naughty 4 year old!! I have an 02 Touring Edition and have had some major-ish issues lately! I started going into limp mode after driving about 20/ish miles (pardon my "ish's") to work or home from. I noticed it after a longer day of driving, didn't know what it was doing, thought I was breaking down! I brought it into a transmission shop to have fluid/filter replaced. Nothing. I was told the magnetic that holds the pan closed (or something along those lines) had pieces falling off, so got it replaced. Today, she went back into limp mode earlier than usual! I'm at a complete loss, had a transmission replacement about 5 or so years ago, I've had this car 8 years. I'm also getting error code P1684, P0700, and P0551 (0551 is always there...I know, bad car mommy!)

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! I've called a few shops and they all talk down to me because I'm a female! Clearly, I'm not an idiot, but this has me stumped!!
Old 22 Jul 2014, 04:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission going into Limp Mode

Welcome to the forum.

P1684 is only a code for having the battery cable unhooked.

P0700 is a generic code for the transmission and needs to be further diagnosed by an OBDII scanner to tell exactly what the computer is saying.

P0551 is the power steering pressure switch... easy to replace but a messy job.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.