PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
start then die

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2014, 09:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default start then die

Help! I have a 06 pt cruser non turbo. I had a problem with the transmission going into limp mode and after reading some posts I decided to install some aditional ground straps to fix that problem. I also decided to take off the 4 plugs connecting the ecm and clean with contact cleaner. After putting 4 connectors back on I found out that now car will start and then almost Immediately stops running. I can also hear what sound like the fuel pump running. I checked fuses in the engine compartment. Any ideas ?

Last edited by richardvan; 22 Jul 2014 at 09:52 pm.
Old 23 Jul 2014, 05:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: start then die

Did you disconnect the negative battery terminal before messing with your computer?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Jul 2014, 05:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

I did not disconnect the ground on battery first. Don't know what i was thinking. It seams everthing works dash light ect but maybe i scrapped the ecm ?

Last edited by richardvan; 23 Jul 2014 at 05:50 am.
Old 23 Jul 2014, 07:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

No, probably not but do it now. disconnect the negative battery cable. Step on the brake pedal to get rid of any residual charge, wait five minutes and hook it back up. Start the car (if might run ruff for a couple minutes but hopefully it will keep running.

Sounds like something with the security (engine only runs for about 3 seconds if it doesn't recognize the key) and maybe disconnecting the battery will reset that.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Jul 2014, 08:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I disconnected the ground lead as you advised. Brake on and it cleared the starting stoping problem. I drove down the road then brought home. And then went back out to start agian and the same problem start then die. I did notice the little round icon on dash was on and off. I also noticed that if i keep the key in start position it will run a little longer but still dies.is there anyway to bypass this problem just temporary to determine that's the issue. Thanks agian for any help.

Last edited by richardvan; 23 Jul 2014 at 08:20 pm. Reason: typo
Old 23 Jul 2014, 08:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The little round icon might be the security light. Do you have another key you can try?

Old 23 Jul 2014, 08:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I tried my other key already. And also tried locking the doors and unlocking the doors with both keys then got in and started then died. Sorry to be such a pain. I bought this car for my son cause I alway thought they were cool. But this little guy has thrown me for a loop. I would just take to dealership but i went by there to get transmission codes when the original problem of going into limp mode set in and the dealer wanted between 600 and 1200 $ to get to the root of the limp mode problem. So I don'ttrust those guys much thanks agian for any help
Old 23 Jul 2014, 09:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The ONLY thing I can think of now is the ignition switch. Since you said something about leaving it in the start position. A few owners have reported problem of the car stopping and not starting and it turned out to be a faulty ignition switch. Might want to do a search on Google or on this forum for ignition switch problems.
cruserdad1976 likes this.

Old 23 Jul 2014, 09:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok i will just replace switch and will post back the results.
Thanks for the help
Old 23 Jul 2014, 11:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

what about the remote key start??