Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AC problem became Overheating problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2014, 05:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default AC problem became Overheating problem

Hi All, First let me say thanks for all the usefull information in this forum. I've been going through some issues and your posts have been very helpful. However I've hit a dead end and registered to ask a question.

I have a 2006 PT Touring edition. Last week the AC started blowing hot at idle, then cooling down when I got moving. Based on one of the posts here, it made sense that it was the radiator fan. So I went out and got a new one from AutoZone, put it in and not only did that not fix the problem, my car is now on the verge of overheating every time I stop at a light. The temp drops back down quickly once I get moving however. At idle, the new fan is not running. Also I am not hearing the clutch engage as it should.

I tested all of the fuses, including fuse 15, which is supposed to run the radiator fan, and it has continuity. It's the only 50 amp fuse in the box.

The fan came with 2 new relays mounted to it. So that shouldn't be the issue, I think.

I ran my obd meter and got code P0481 - Cooling Fan 2 Control Circuit Malfunction. I'm not sure what control Circuit this is referencing.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!
Cheers!
Old 23 Jul 2014, 11:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: AC problem became Overheating problem

same thing happened to my 01. after exhaustive searching, I found at the ground wire at the plug of the fan had melted. I rerouted that wire and all as well

Tags
air conditioning, overheating, p0481, radiator fan