Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By IFG
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jul 2014, 08:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Problem with PT Cruiser 2.4l Turbo

Hi there ,

I'am from Germany and I'am new at the forum. I own two PT's and a Dodge Ram. Since some days I have a problem with my 2.4L Turbo PT. If I accelerate gently the PT is going well - if I speed ​​up abruptly, the engine light comes on and the engine shut of. This happens at any speed when I press the accelerator pedal fully through (10mph - 80mph). Due to the short off there is a strong jolt. If it goes badly it shut of completly down and not only has a misfire and you can just roll out. Same problem occurs even when the engine is running slow in a high gear the engine shut of. Does anyone have an idea what could it be? The error memory is empty. But in the moment the engine shuts of the engine light burn. Could it be a sensor, turbo or the engine control unit? I changed the spark plugs, ingnition wires and the coil and the throttle sensor.

Thanks and regards,
IFG
Old 25 Jul 2014, 09:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Problem with PT Cruiser 2.4l Turbo

Welcome to the forum. You say the "error memory is empty" but how was it checked? Was a scanner hooked up to the computer port to investigate any stored errors/faults ?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Jul 2014, 12:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for your reply. I tried it with on-off, on-off, on, but thers no code appeard only "done" and I have an OBD2, but this is only a cheap reader not a professional one.
Old 25 Jul 2014, 07:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

IFG, disconnect the battery for 10 or 15 minutes, re-connect the battery and try driving again. This will reset the computer. Funny that there were no codes after the engine light came on. Check to make sure all the ground wires are clean and firmly mounted. Check to insure all vacuum lines are attached, and the hose clamps from the turbo to the innercooler and throttle body. Some times it's something simple! Good luck.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 07:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes, re-connect the battery and try driving again. Same like before. Now I checked all hoses and they are all OK. Could it be a Problem with the air charge temperature sensor?

Thank you for your support.
Old 04 Aug 2014, 01:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: Problem with PT Cruiser 2.4l Turbo

Hi,

it was the Intake air temperature sensor (IAT sensor). Now the PT runs fine again.

Regards,
IFG
Old 04 Aug 2014, 03:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblueGT View Post
IFG, disconnect the battery for 10 or 15 minutes, re-connect the battery and try driving again. This will reset the computer. Funny that there were no codes after the engine light came on. Check to make sure all the ground wires are clean and firmly mounted. Check to insure all vacuum lines are attached, and the hose clamps from the turbo to the innercooler and throttle body. Some times it's something simple! Good luck.
The procedure of disconnecting the battery will reset your Radio stations not your ECU!
Bad idea with PT Cruisers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFG View Post
I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes, re-connect the battery and try driving again. Same like before. Now I checked all hoses and they are all OK. Could it be a Problem with the air charge temperature sensor?

Thank you for your support.
This is because disconnecting the battery does nothing to restset anything except the dash engine light the DTC are still active until the engine cycles and clear the readines file.

Quote:
Hi,

it was the Intake air temperature sensor (IAT sensor). Now the PT runs fine again.

Regards,
IFG
Good that you got it running.

Maybe it is time to invest in an inexpensive Diagnostic scanning tool if you plan on keep in the PT Cruiser and trying to work on solving any issues ECU related that may come up in the future.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 Apr 2015, 08:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi,

it wasn't the Intake air temperature sensor (IAT sensor). After two weeks I had the same problems. I bring the PT to a local repair shop.

Last Saturday I become the car back (after a half year). Same problems like before

I made a short Video on YouTube. Can anyone help me?

https://youtu.be/9894ZekkebE

There is no messages in the error memory. They checked it with the genuine Chrysler and with a Snap On diagnostic computer.

Best,
Immo

Last edited by IFG; 27 Apr 2015 at 09:09 am.
Old 27 Apr 2015, 09:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Hi,

it wasn't the Intake air temperature sensor (IAT sensor). After two weeks I had the same problems. I bring the PT to a local repair shop.

Last Saturday I become the car back (after a half year). Same problems like before

I made a short Video on YouTube. Can anyone help me?

https://youtu.be/9894ZekkebE

There is no messages in the error memory. They checked it with the genuine Chrysler and with a Snap On diagnostic computer.

Best,
Immo
PM Nitro PT he is a Master Mechanic.
IFG likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com