Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Cruiser leaking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jul 2014, 04:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Cruiser leaking

Hey guys, it's me again. This is probably nothing but I did a few errands today: got gas, went to store, etc and every time I parked my PT it was leaking water from the front right side of the engine. Not massive amounts but there was definitely a drop , the first time it was easily a cup or more, the rest of the time it was some, not as much but some. It's water, clear water and I wasn't running my AC cuz it is 60 degrees, the car is not overheating but the fan is coming on, I can hear it every time I turn off the car.... Any clues? Thanks.
Old 25 Jul 2014, 04:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser leaking

Nothing to worry about. That's condensation from the A/C system. Even if you have the controls on defrost, the compressor is activated and you'll have the condensation on the ground. It should be coming from a rubber tube pointed directly at the ground (if you care to get under there and take a look).

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Jul 2014, 04:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Even if I didn't use the AC cuz it is cold today??
Old 25 Jul 2014, 04:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Clear water?
You do have anti-freeze/coolant 50/50 mix with water in your coolig sytem, don't you? That should be yellow, or green, depending on brand you use.

A/C condesation should be only clear fluid in car, but you said you weren't using A/C.

Is right side of car to you driver's side or passenger side? R and L are determined from drivers seat.

Only other clear fluid would be battery acid.
Old 25 Jul 2014, 04:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Crewzin must have the answer. i did not know that compresor came on except with a/c swith.
Old 25 Jul 2014, 04:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Uh, I hope it's not battery acid cuz I tasted it !!! It didn't taste like anything and it is definitely not colored , looks like water , not oily nothing. I hope it's just AC condensation but again everything was off, no defroster, nothing on.

Oh and thank you both for the quick replies and knowledge!

Last edited by Annatrx; 25 Jul 2014 at 04:35 pm.
Old 25 Jul 2014, 04:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well battery acid will taster really sour??? I guess thats the best answer and im sure you would ahve know that really quick
Old 25 Jul 2014, 05:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, it keeps doing it, water, a big drop every few seconds, are you guys sure this is ok ? Cuz it is freaking me out! I stopped for about an hour and it still does it. I tasted it again, I know I shouldn't have! Tastes like water, looks and feels like water and I even used white tissue, no color. It's just a lot of water to me, is it going to stop? If / When should I start getting concerned? .... thanks.
Old 25 Jul 2014, 05:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Are you sure your not using the compressor? Even if you have it towards the heat setting, if the control is pointed towards the defrost, the compressor might come on. I know in a hot day here, when I pull into the garage, there's a large puddle, I'm talking a foot and a half across right near the passenger front tire in just a minute or two.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Jul 2014, 05:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Not using anything, I mean all of the little knobs are to the center /off position. When I use the AC I have seen water but it stops after a while and this one just keeps on going and it's almost 4pm....