PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
SPECTRA PREMIUM RADIATOR&MISHIMOTO

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2014, 03:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default SPECTRA PREMIUM RADIATOR&MISHIMOTO

Hi guys, my rad has a leak, so i have a spectra premium coming, i've read on there quality on different sources, i was curious if anyone on here has any experience with the brand, it was 150$ so it was not crazy expensive, Also what's a FAIR price for a mechanic to charge me to install radiator, with me providing all parts, radiator,HOAT rad fluid, etc,also i have a new Stant super-stat i installed a month ago when i did a radiator flush,that's why changing the radiator this soon, especially after the maintenance i've been doing, comes as a premature shock, but hey, there cars, they break down, ISH happens!!!just not sure if 180 or 195???i am thinking it was the 195 and that's why it cracked, 70k miles, maybe it got too hot? etc??? is there a way to tell when i do this work,i plan on changing to the racing Mishimoto one anyway, just curious is all, so i found this Mishimoto racing thermostat that opens at 179.2 or so,$50.00 thermostat so its expensive as far as that goes, but if you research em, they remove air, have a back-flow, they have all and more bells and whistles, also the construction, looks very promising, i like to put the best of anything into whatever it is i am doing, so i'm not concerned with the price, does anyone have one and can comment on them??? I also am going to get a new transmission oil cooler and mount under car, for better cooling for trans fluid, and rad, thanks to Nitro PT on that mod, while i'm at this i also am getting the upper and lower AMX 13978 LHP/AGP UHP set, as to prevent any ballooning, so my boost is more consistent, and its alot stronger, it gets a new teflon coating which with flow bench testing, Needs Wings says he gets 8% better flow than without...So with all this, i should be running cool, and better, also, i had a shop do a trans flush for me, which sucks oil out of pretty much everywhere, but he didn't change the filter,i called??? so i am going to drop the pan and install a new pan w/drain installed, so i can do more frequent changes, i know it wont drain entire system, but if i change say every 10k miles or so, i'm sure ill be running with new trans fluid, btw any brand better than others, or just any ol' synthetic transmission oil will do? thanks,so if anyone can answer those questions or has any feedback it would be greatly appreciated, thanks

tom

http://www.carid.com/2005-chrysler-p...-15874344.html

Semper Fidelis!!!

Last edited by TommyBlazin; 27 Jul 2014 at 03:20 pm.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 03:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: SPECTRA PREMIUM RADIATOR&MISHIMOTO

If you really want your PT to stay cool you are going to have to think bigger, much BIGGER.

Hahh!! Actually I've heard good stuff about the radiator you are getting. Please let you know how it works out and please provide some good photos.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 07:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

If there is no hole in the aluminum core and the tank is not cracked, they leak due to the long seal used on each side with holes for every tube that goes horizontally across the radiator,
It appears the flat side of the tank and neopreme seal are pressed on to the core then the tubes are expanded for sealing. Then the U shape of the tank is crimped on to complete the assembly.
They probably would not last as long as they do if we were still using the old type antifreeze, remember having to change radiator hoses every three years because the antifreeze softened the rubber hose and they would swell and pop a hole.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 29 Jul 2014, 08:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
If there is no hole in the aluminum core and the tank is not cracked, they leak due to the long seal used on each side with holes for every tube that goes horizontally across the radiator,
It appears the flat side of the tank and neopreme seal are pressed on to the core then the tubes are expanded for sealing. Then the U shape of the tank is crimped on to complete the assembly.
They probably would not last as long as they do if we were still using the old type antifreeze, remember having to change radiator hoses every three years because the antifreeze softened the rubber hose and they would swell and pop a hole.
exactlly where it leaked, and i have new gates hoses comig as well, thanks, and for the guy above, will do buds, funny ish with that rad, id have to zip tie to my grill and drive around....lol, now thats class

Semper Fidelis!!!
Old 29 Jul 2014, 11:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

For the PT Cruiser it is all about air flow for cooling.
Old 01 Aug 2014, 04:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

i'm seeing this, the hood is where i'm getting stuck,id love a heat extracting hood, with a hood scoop to either cool engine or re-route air twords intake filter, that would be best.... i will be re-routing that trans cooler to under car as you mentioned, i bought a stant performance rad cap, mishimoto thermostat, mishimoto rad fluid additive "orange" only 4oz.'s!! said compatible with all fluids, i got cause its orange like the hoat, ill be using a 70/30 mix 70 hoat 30 water,also there's a warning sticker on rad, saying if i don't flush with distilled water and proper antifreeze warranty void, does that mean before i use new radiator, i should flush it from possibly and manufacturing scraps that might be left inside? all in all the spectra premium is a nice WELL BUILT radiator, and for my mechanic to say that it must be,hes a total OCD with using the right parts...

Semper Fidelis!!!