Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Starts Fine Dies At Warm Up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2014, 02:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Starts Fine Dies At Warm Up

2001 5 speed Limited. cam belt changed at 100,000 current miles 115,000.
Long story with info:
Started with car doing a hiccup - loss of spark feel for less than one second .. only sometimes when driving. No codes found on reader.. After a month of that, died on interstate while holding a steady speed.. No restart. Towed home (thanks AAA) and found code P0340. Changed cam sensor with Autozone part..Erased code. Started fine then when the engine warmed to normal, immediately died.. after reading similar posts, I returned Autozone part and got a MOPAR sensor (Part# 5093508AA, made in China too) . erased code and the engine cranked perfectly.. then as soon as it got to normal temp while idling in driveway, engine killed and no restart.. No codes or pending codes while running perfectly. As it dies, I see CEL and read Code P0340 (cam sensor) and P1391 (intermittent signal from cam sensor or crank sensor). Erased code, cooled off and restarted perfectly. runs air conditioner and everything seems right until it reaches normal temperature .. then coughs sputters and dies. Tacho bumps up to 4000 or so while idling as it dies.. Next step is to check wiring along rear of engine.. any other ideas? I did not change the target magnet.. I do know that magnets' strength may decrease with temperature but I wouldn't think it would act like that..
INFo.. the only difference I noted between the Autozone part and the MOPAR one is the color of the potting compound at the connector.. the MOPAR is opaque black.. the Autozone one is a transparent yellowish..
Any ideas?
Old 29 Jul 2014, 02:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Starts Fine Dies At Warm Up

Yes, check the wiring harness to make sure it hasn't rubbed on the cv axle. If it has, simple enough fix. Repair the wires that were damaged and tie the harness up so it doesn't happen again.

Happened to my 2001 and after the repair was pleasantly surprised that the problem was gone.

Good luck
Old 29 Jul 2014, 06:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info, guys.. I got it up on ramps and found one wire almost completely worn through. Haven't fixed it yet but I suspect that is the problem. Rubbing on the inboard starboard CV joint boot. Looks like there was a little clip that held the braid covered harness close to the block for many years, but it has come free.. I'll secure the new wire away from the moving parts.. I was hoping for a lazy easy fix but this is going to be a little more involved. Picture shows the harness leg with a hole worn through the braid cover at the CV joint boot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040668.jpg (92.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 29 Jul 2014, 07:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yup, that's exactly what mine looked like. The most time consuming was removing 2 inches of the braid to see how many wires were affected. Should make you a little pleased that's all it is. I was ecstatic, especially when I fired it up after the repair.
Old 01 Aug 2014, 09:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yup.. Spliced in new wire, heat shrink and tape, tied away from moving parts. Running fine again ! Thanks for the info and hand holding!
Old 01 Aug 2014, 10:28 am
Senior Cruiser

Glad it was able to be repaired inexpensively. I would hate to think how much money would have been wasted throwing parts at it. As far as I know, it only happens with the 2001 models. Never had a problem with my 2002.