Advertisements
front end Issues?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LionPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jul 2014, 09:39 am
Cool Cruiser

Default front end Issues?

01 pt...just put new clutch in it..and its been fine but after about 300 miles it getting a wobble or wheel shake in the left front end when you let off the gas or the motors not pullin hard??..good tires..axils seem tight..tie rods feel tight..checked the wheel bearings for any movement seem ok..but i noticed some grease on the inside of the right front wheel?? and cant seem to find were its from?? it dont do it when yr accelerating? lug nuts tight..and dont see any leeking from axil boots?

its bad when you let off or not pullin hard?? drives straight down the road no pullin?..

any thoughts?? could it be the struts?..or front end alignment? feels like the front wheels try to torque inward and with some play..gonna get a front end alignment and see if they find anything..

anybody have this symptom before?
Old 30 Jul 2014, 10:02 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: front end Issues?

If you mean left front passenger side...check your lower motor mount.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 30 Jul 2014, 10:23 am
Cool Cruiser

thanks ..I replaced it when I did the clutch..I wonder if were we unbolted the lower strut mount to get the knuckle to turn and take the axil out go tth efront end out of line?? maybe toe in now???...

I thought for sure i"d find a bad tie rod or axil..
Old 30 Jul 2014, 10:35 am
Veteran Cruiser

If it's not the brakes, the only thing I can think of is the tire itself, check the balance & look for a broken belt inside the tire...usually you will see the tread take a sharp turn towards the right or left.

BadTire.jpg

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 30 Jul 2014, 10:59 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumrooster View Post
01 pt...just put new clutch in it..and its been fine but after about 300 miles it getting a wobble or wheel shake in the left front end when you let off the gas or the motors not pullin hard??..good tires..axils seem tight..tie rods feel tight..checked the wheel bearings for any movement seem ok..but i noticed some grease on the inside of the right front wheel?? and cant seem to find were its from?? it dont do it when yr accelerating? lug nuts tight..and dont see any leeking from axil boots?

its bad when you let off or not pullin hard?? drives straight down the road no pullin?..

any thoughts?? could it be the struts?..or front end alignment? feels like the front wheels try to torque inward and with some play..gonna get a front end alignment and see if they find anything..

anybody have this symptom before?
i did. it was a bad outer tie-rod end and a slightly worn ball joint. when i wiggled the tire by hand i didnt notice it, but when i would grab the tie rod and yank up and down, it would move appx 1/8". if that is good inspect the balljoint boot for tearing, this may be where the mystery grease is from. it's hard to test them on this car with everything bolted together. the wiggle test didnt work for me.

to be more specific, i remember sometimes that while going between 40 and 90mph when letting off the gas, i would feel a slight shaking with a slightly audible rythmic knocking in the steering wheel. it felt like a wheel was off balance, only while not on the gas, and worse on some roads than others. it felt annoying, but not unsafe.

Last edited by rob342; 30 Jul 2014 at 11:44 am.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 03:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Rob..thats whati been thinking...great info..foundboth sides inner n outter on e bay..prolly do em all...will let u guys know