PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
TIMING BELT NIGHTMARE! NEED ADVICE

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2014, 09:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default TIMING BELT NIGHTMARE! NEED ADVICE

Hello all, Ive been a frequent visitor to this site the last 2 weeks. My 2002 pt cruiser died on the way to work 2 weeks ago. After going up a hill and making a left turn about 15 to 20 mph it began to sputter as if it was running out of gas, shut off and would not restart. Had it towed to a friends mechanic and of course it was the timing belt. I was given a estimate and the job was supposed to take 2 days. Well 2 turned into a week and it was a mess when I went to pick it up. The engine was shaking violently, coolant was leaking out, something under the hood was rattling very loudly. I was mortified! I test drove it and as long as I was moving she ran OK a little sluggish. The idle was a different story. I refused to take it in that state. One of the mechanics says to Me " this is the best were going to get it" just leave it here and we will check it again. Fast forward to now. Frustrated i refused to pay the whole repair price I picked my car up the next day it ran better but the engine still shakes. My gas gauge isnt working, fans dont come on ac not working and the idle is awful. The mechanic changed his number and no one seems to know were he is. Took it to Conrad's this morning and picked it up after work. THE ENGINE HAS LOW COMPRESSION THIS IS WHY IT IDLES BAD.???? Could be the timing was not set properly or the engine valves were damaged when the belt broke. Only way to find out is to pull the heads and this is about a $400 job on top of the previous belt job not to mention if its the valve. I'm not sure what to do at this point I don't have what if? money to waste. Should I have the heads pulled or get rid of it. I've only owned this pt cruiser 5 months she has 129,000. How likely is it that I have internal engine damage?
Old 01 Aug 2014, 10:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: TIMING BELT NIGHTMARE! NEED ADVICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chryslernewbie View Post
Hello all, Ive been a frequent visitor to this site the last 2 weeks. My 2002 pt cruiser died on the way to work 2 weeks ago. After going up a hill and making a left turn about 15 to 20 mph it began to sputter as if it was running out of gas, shut off and would not restart. Had it towed to a friends mechanic and of course it was the timing belt. I was given a estimate and the job was supposed to take 2 days. Well 2 turned into a week and it was a mess when I went to pick it up. The engine was shaking violently, coolant was leaking out, something under the hood was rattling very loudly. I was mortified! I test drove it and as long as I was moving she ran OK a little sluggish. The idle was a different story. I refused to take it in that state. One of the mechanics says to Me " this is the best were going to get it" just leave it here and we will check it again. Fast forward to now. Frustrated i refused to pay the whole repair price I picked my car up the next day it ran better but the engine still shakes. My gas gauge isnt working, fans dont come on ac not working and the idle is awful. The mechanic changed his number and no one seems to know were he is. Took it to Conrad's this morning and picked it up after work. THE ENGINE HAS LOW COMPRESSION THIS IS WHY IT IDLES BAD.???? Could be the timing was not set properly or the engine valves were damaged when the belt broke. Only way to find out is to pull the heads and this is about a $400 job on top of the previous belt job not to mention if its the valve. I'm not sure what to do at this point I don't have what if? money to waste. Should I have the heads pulled or get rid of it. I've only owned this pt cruiser 5 months she has 129,000. How likely is it that I have internal engine damage?
If timing belt is off one tooth you will have low compression. Thats your problem. All your othe conditions are the fault of the first guy. Mechanic not! Get the belt in time and you can see what all he left in disrepair.
rob342 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Aug 2014, 10:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The so called Machanic you used did NOT set the timing right sounds like at the very least its one or two teeth off ...
edited - busted beat me to it .. word to the wise ? NEVER use a Machanic you know nothing about.. have a Machanic you TRUST reset the timing RIGHT , I wouldnt drive it too much until you do or you WILL have internal damage

Last edited by boonie2; 01 Aug 2014 at 10:24 pm.
Old 01 Aug 2014, 10:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Have the timing checked, most likely that is your problem. As for your fuel gauge & A/C, that's a different problem.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 01 Aug 2014, 10:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ok FIRST OFF the chances iof bent vavves is SLIM verry SLIM espically going the speed yu said you were going

HE PROBLEM IS SIMPLE IT IS OUT OF TIME
1 tooth wil make it idel rough
the low compression is odd but if its not in time its going to be wrong
The best of the Best will some times get the timin worong it isd a hard and pai in the tush Job many have done it wih no problem most ay they learned new cuss words

They unhooked or brke the seal on the AC while messing with the T/B they most likely did nto get the other things pluged back in to where they actualy go

Thsi is what gives some good mechanics a really bad name

The $400 is cheap if thats all they charge you---did you replace the water pump and tensioners at the same time??? id check the theromastat and housing they may ave been rough adn the PT does not do rough well

My guess is Timming is off everyhing you say its doing is timing related more or less

Just my 2 cents other will add to
Old 01 Aug 2014, 10:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

wow you guys maust typer relaly fast or im half asleep
Old 01 Aug 2014, 10:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Probably using a phone or tablet to post with. Just my guess cuz I really suck with those devices.
Old 01 Aug 2014, 10:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep DROID
Old 02 Aug 2014, 06:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: TIMING BELT NIGHTMARE! NEED ADVICE

Thanks for everyone's reply. Cruiserdad1976 I really pulled the short end of the stick on this one. My regular mechanic moved to Florida two months ago and I was referred to this other guy by my boyfriends family. Im not familiar with car repairs. I've blew threw $1200 this past 2 weeks between the first guy and Conrad's testing and I can't afford to waste any more time or money. Is it a good idea to go ahead and have the heads pulled ? Conrad's gave me a estimate of about $400 to pull the heads and see what's going on. If its the timing that's off I'm looking at another 6 or 7 hundred bucks to fix. Am I better off just getting rid of it? The car was great before this but I need reliable transportation for work.
Old 02 Aug 2014, 06:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes @cruiserdad1976 I actually purchased the kit that came with the water pump

Tags
engine shaking, rough idle, timing belt replacement