PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Motor Swap

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2014, 01:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Motor Swap

Hello fellow PT Cruiser buddies. I am currently having a problem with my cruiser after a motor swap. I will give a brief description of what I have done and what I am hearing.

About a month or so ago, my fiance slung a rod through the block going to see family. I got it towed home and started the motor swap. Got the new motor with 130k miles for around $900 w/90 day warranty. Got the motor put in and all connected up and it won't start. I have taken the starter off and had it tested. Tested good. With the starter back on the motor, I hear a faint click. Starter won't turn or engage. I have checked all the ground wires that I know of (even looked at a schematic to find more).

Could the starter test good and not work on the car? I have tried the jumper cable trick to engage the starter and that doesn't even work. I am not even getting a spark when I touch the jumper cable to the positive post. Battery is brand new from Wal-Mart. I thought it was bad, had it tested and it tested good. I am running out of things to check and would like some help from this amazing community.

Here are the specs of the car: 2002 PT Cruiser Limited Edition, 2.4L NA with 185k on odometer and 130K on motor.
Old 02 Aug 2014, 01:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Motor Swap

Is the crank sensor in the same location on the block on both engines ?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Aug 2014, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You should be able to cross over at the starter with a screwdriver. Trace all the cables to there final locations to ensure that everything is connected. Check the neutral safety switch as well.
JoeX likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Aug 2014, 03:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Might be a stupid question but how do you know the NEW motor isnt locked up

Last edited by boonie2; 02 Aug 2014 at 03:32 pm.
Old 02 Aug 2014, 03:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If the PT is 2002, what year is the engine..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 02 Aug 2014, 06:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the starter won't turn and you are sure the cables are all good, the battery is fully charged and it still won't turn when hot-wired, then remove the starter and reinstall it. There's a chance it just got jammed while being put on or it's not pulled up straight. I've seen that happen before on different engines. Also, the starter can freeze up too if left in the weather while off the car for the engine swap. You can have it tested some place like AutoZone if you take it off as suggested.

You might also want to turn the engine by hand to make sure it's not frozen.
boonie2 likes this.
Old 03 Aug 2014, 05:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The motor isn't frozen up b/c I had to turn the motor to get the flywheel bolts on and to time it.

I have taken the starter off and had it tested at AutoZone 2 times already. When I put it back together this time, I took my time and made sure the wires were put on correctly. Earlier today I tried taking a screwdriver to the post on the starter and just got a big spark but the starter did not engage.

The battery is excellent. The cold cranking amps are showing more than what the battery is rated for.

Engine was the same year as the old one. So all of the connections were the same. Is there any connections that could have gotten crossed up between? I can't think of any connectors being the same but it is a possibility. I have looked it over today and can't tell of any connectors that look the same.

Where is the neutral safety switch located?
Old 03 Aug 2014, 07:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

When you crossed the terminal and had the spark, the starter didn't turn and the bendix didn't engage the flywheel? Well since you have electricity at the starter evidenced by the sparks, the only thing that makes sense is that the starter is not functioning correctly when you put it in the car.

Will the starter turn and will the bendix move when the starter is connected to the wires but not installed??
Old 03 Aug 2014, 07:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

you should be able to tell if the bendix snaps forward
Old 03 Aug 2014, 09:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The Bendix did not engage when I got the spark.