PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Squeal once warmed up

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2014, 05:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Squeal once warmed up

Hi, my 2003 Dream Cruiser started making a high pitched squeal once the engine is warmed up. It sounds like it is coming from the cooling fan. It did stop initially when I engaged the AC, but today it stayed on regardless. If it is the cooling fan, (which I suspect) is there anything special I need to know to get a replacement?
Thanks in advance,
Larry
Old 02 Aug 2014, 05:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Squeal once warmed up

you need to inspect where the noise is coming from and let us know. other than that it's all just guessing. i never heard of a fan squealing.

i thought my fan was squealing because i had a squealing noise that would come on when the fan was on and the sound did not change with varied RPM. i thought it was the fan, but it was the stator inside my alternator. after consulting an alternator expert he said it was my stator, and if i were to touch the alternator while i heard the noise, the alternator would be "hotter 'n hell". usually squeals change with RPM if its belts, a pulley, or a tensioner. if it's a monotonous tone it could be the fan, the alternator, etc.

you need to listen to your car and pinpoint its location before anyone can give you good advice.

1- find the approximate location of the noise
2- let us know if it changes when you vary the RPMs
3- see if having high current draw makes it happen. ie the lights and blower motor on high, cooling fan spinning.
Old 02 Aug 2014, 06:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Rob,

I did listen around the engine compartment and the noise seems to be from the cooling fan. When it does it, it is a constant. The RPM and load on the engine does not seem to effect it. That is what has me puzzled. I figured that there are few quirks that are unique to the Cruiser, and i was hoping this was one of them.
Thanks,
Larry
Old 02 Aug 2014, 07:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You could unplug the fan to make sure.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 02 Aug 2014, 08:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

? Is there a fan relay or fuse he can pull to check to see if the fan is the problem
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 02 Aug 2014, 09:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My bet is a bearing, because belt squeals are typically worse when engine is cold, and may disappear when engine warms up, while bearings do the opposite, as you describe.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Aug 2014, 10:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
? Is there a fan relay or fuse he can pull to check to see if the fan is the problem
I don't believe there is a relay to pull. The 03 Dream and GT use the bosch/Mercedes fan motor which is controlled by the ecu. This special fan was only used on 2003 GT's and Dream Cruisers.

If there is a problem with the fan, just be warned that a new fan for these cars is VERY expensive. You may be lucky and find a used one at a wrecker or on ebay. You can also find a used replacement fan motor from a Mercedes car on ebay as well. There is a sticky in the forum with part numbers to search for and instructions.
Old 03 Aug 2014, 12:02 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post

Just pull the connection plug...New here....and a question
myckee likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 03 Aug 2014, 12:47 am
Young Cruiser

maybe jump the fan wires and see if it starts? when my high speed brushes on my 03' fan went out I just opened the fan and replaced the brushes for less than 10 dollars. just bought the brushes from a kit to repair a motorcycle starter and solder them to the fan brush connectors and tada! it worked
JoeX likes this.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 08:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I finally got to the bottom of this. It ended up being a leaking lower intake gasket. I had initially ruled out a vacuum leak as the car was still running fine, but I forgot the computer will adjust and compensate for this.
Thanks to everyone who offered input.
Larry
Busted_PT likes this.