PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
[How To] Change the Oil Pressure Sending Unit/Switch on 2005 2.4L Turbo PT Cruiser

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ingram87

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2014, 05:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default [How To] Change the Oil Pressure Sending Unit/Switch on 2005 2.4L Turbo PT Cruiser

First, here are a couple of videos i took of where it's actually located, and of the connector. This may help some of you out who aren't sure about the location:

From the top, you can remove the air filter housing, and you can see/feel the oil pressure switch if you reach your hand behind the engine, in the gap where the air filter house was (see video). You can't do much from here, except for disconnect the cable from the switch. On turbo models, there is a cardboardish heat shield that slides off. There is not a lot of slack, so be careful to not break the cable. To remove the wire connector from the switch, there is an orange plastic retainer that slides out of the side of the connector. After you remove this, at the end of the green connector, press down on the tab, and slide it off.

On my 2005 2.4L Turbo model, the oil pressure switch that was on the car could only be removed by a 26mm 12 point deep socket. I also tried a 27mm, 1", 1&1/16" socket, but all were to big or to small. Others with out the turbo model claimed each of these fit, but only the 26mm fit on mine. However, the replacement part I ordered from rockauto.com (AIRTEX / WELLS 5L8) was not 26mm. It needed a 1&1/16" 12 point deep socket.

To remove it, put the car on ramps. From underneath, it's really easy to get to. You'll need some type of pivoting socket, or something like has flexibility to move, and you may need a small extension piece. 26mm and other sockets that large typically only come in 1/2" drive size, so you'll need a driver that fits it, or a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter if you only have 3/8" drivers. When you put the new switch back in, make sure you use a sealant. Others said they used teflon tape, and it still leaked. I used the gel kind, and I didn't have any problems.

So basically, this is really easy to do, and can be completed in 10 minutes. Put the car on ramps. Remove the connector from underneath the car, unscrew the unit with one of the socket sizes listed above, and put the new one back on. Make sure to seal the threads and check for leaks.

By the way, my oil pressure light came on everytime I let off of the gas pedal, and sometimes it stayed on. After I replaced the oil pressure switch, it doesn't come on anymore.
Old 02 Aug 2014, 05:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: [How To] Change the Oil Pressure Sending Unit/Switch on 2005 2.4L Turbo PT Cruise

Apparently it tries to preview the youtube videos when I paste a link to youtube, and it messes up the formatting. This is why the bottom half of the post appears to be one giant link.
Old 02 Aug 2014, 06:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: [How To] Change the Oil Pressure Sending Unit/Switch on 2005 2.4L Turbo PT Cruise

nice! however, i'm still partial to this one:

HOW TO: oil pressure sensor replacement

:P

Tags
oil pressure sending unit