Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gas use question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2014, 11:49 am
Young Cruiser

Default Gas use question

I have a 06 pt cruiser non turbo. I use regular unleaded in the tank. Is it ok to use the next grade up or is it a bad idea?
Old 03 Aug 2014, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Gas use question

You can always use a HIGHER octane fuel (gasoline) but not a good idea to go lower then the recommended octane fuel to use.

In your case I am not sure what the advantage would be going to a higher octane? Unless you plan on towing or loading the PT?

Maybe if you think of fuel as octane values in numbers instead of the "old School " name "regular"?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 03 Aug 2014 at 12:24 pm.
Old 03 Aug 2014, 01:03 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
You can always use a HIGHER octane fuel (gasoline) but not a good idea to go lower then the recommended octane fuel to use.

In your case I am not sure what the advantage would be going to a higher octane? Unless you plan on towing or loading the PT?

Maybe if you think of fuel as octane values in numbers instead of the "old School " name "regular"?
As long as you don't hear the engine knocking when you accelerate, you are probably ok with whatever you are using.

I use the lowest octane at the pump, and I add a supplement (Lucas or Seafoam) to each tankful to help lubricate the valves, etc. No problems in my '05.

If it gives you some comfort, use the higher octane.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.

Last edited by harrym; 03 Aug 2014 at 05:25 pm.
Old 03 Aug 2014, 02:15 pm
Young Cruiser

I also use Lucas on every other tank. Im thinking of using a higher unleaded just now and then to clean more.
Old 03 Aug 2014, 02:32 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsfanforever70 View Post
I also use Lucas on every other tank. Im thinking of using a higher unleaded just now and then to clean more.
My advice to you would be to cross over the line and buy your fuel in Missouri. (Assuming that Kansas still has that onerous gas tax.)

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 03 Aug 2014, 03:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Higher octane does not have higher cleaning agents. In most cases adding any fuel additives does really nothing except ease the mind and empty the wallet. If you are buying from national fuel suppliers they have already added extra chemicals that lubricated and clean the combustion chambers. In many cases adding fuel supplements has an adverse effect on things like spark plugs. So it is a good idea if in the habit of adding extra "stuff" to the tank than change your plugs more often like 10-15K miles.

The human hear is not capable of hearing the first stages of engine knock. The ECU/PCM/ECM etc., measures voltage and adjust engine operating perimeters based on the knock values from the sensor. If you can hear pinging,pre-ignition, knocking or any other term you want to use than be assured that your engine has been doing it long before your heard it. It also means that you exceeded the limits of the engines computer to compensate for it.

Octane boosters is not a solution to this either as most have proven to do nothing. Only a few actually do increase the octane and generally they are not value priced friendly.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN