PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 manual touring edition -@ higher rpms cutting out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Aug 2014, 06:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 04 manual touring edition -@ higher rpms cutting out

Hello, new guy here with a 2004 manual PT cruiser touring edition

About a year ago, at RPMs at and above 2400 the engine would sometimes sputter and something in the drive train would shutter, I could toggle the ignition off/on a few times and problem went away for a while, then it just quit one day, would not start and after sitting for an hour, it finally fired up. Took it to a friend, he replaced a Speed sensor and MAP sensor and the problem appeared to be fine. Fast forward to today, same symptoms started occurring when on the way to work, toggled the ignition off/on and seemed ok, then on way home from work, problem occurred and engine shut down and for hours would not re start, starter is spinning and if I pump the pedal a bit, it tried to catch, but would not start. Had it towed home and now here to search for any possible help.
Old 04 Aug 2014, 08:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 04 manual touring edition -@ higher rpms cutting out

Made a few phone calls and started poking around and found my timing belt is broken. Could a bad or going bad timing belt cause the stuttering at 2400+ rpms?
Or do I have another issues that caused the timing belt to break?
Old 04 Aug 2014, 11:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

I see you didn't mention how many miles on it. Nothing causes the timing belt to break except age and mileage. When you repair it, tensioner and water pump should be replaced as well.
Old 04 Aug 2014, 11:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, forgot to add that, just over 100K and I have owned it for 40K.
I did hear to do water pump, tensioner and a gasket or two during the repair, but also heard of a good chance for a bent valve. Not sure how to check for the valve issue before getting deep into the timing belt replacement. Book time on the timing belt is almost 8.0 hours and I will have some help, but a bent valve may send me to a repair shop instead of my garage.
Old 05 Aug 2014, 02:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePT04 View Post
Yeah, forgot to add that, just over 100K and I have owned it for 40K.
I did hear to do water pump, tensioner and a gasket or two during the repair, but also heard of a good chance for a bent valve. Not sure how to check for the valve issue before getting deep into the timing belt replacement. Book time on the timing belt is almost 8.0 hours and I will have some help, but a bent valve may send me to a repair shop instead of my garage.
Install the replacement new parts and put the engine in time. No need to put covers or other belts on, The bent valve check is do a compression check. IF you get one cylinder that reads low you know there the problem lies.
NO, the belt could not cause studdering, if it was running out of time it would run rough at idle and less power over all.
100,000 miles, same clutch? Could be slipping. Ever change spark plugs, wires?
Now your choice is instead of just new timing components, the engine and tranny needs parted to change the clutch.
You should also do the belt for the alternator and the idler tensioner, Power steering-ac BELT.
Ever changed your lower control arms or bushings, engine mounts, check your tyrods?
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 05 Aug 2014 at 03:00 am.