PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What's the trick to getting an A/C compressor out?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Aug 2014, 02:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default What's the trick to getting an A/C compressor out?

Hello to anybody who will listen. I've had my Cruiser for about two years ('02 auto w/ 188K miles on it) and I've decided to put a new compressor in it. I took the wheel and splash guard off and started taking the from bumper cover off, as well. The problem that I'm having is with the two top mounting bolts. The frame is in the way and I can't get anything in there that will take those bolts out. Is there some trick? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05 Aug 2014, 06:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What's the trick to getting an A/C compressor out?

See if this helps.......

A/C Compressor replacement

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Aug 2014, 10:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, Crewzin, but that is one of the MANY threads, videos, & PDF's that I've poured over the last few days. The problem that I'm having (and possibly many others, judging by the amount of views to this thread) is that there is not enough space to remove the two top bolts that secure the compressor to the backing plate. The one top bolt at the front (by the pulleys) is being blocked by the radiator support frame and the rear, top bolt (towards the center of the engine) is being blocked by the fan shroud. There doesn't seem to be enough room to slide a box-end ratchet in there, and I've tried from every angle. All of the PDF's pretend that the engine and all of the axillary components just float out in space disconnected from the rest of the car. Only in my dreams.
Old 05 Aug 2014, 11:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I haven't had to remove my compressor. But after reading your comment, I did a little online research. No one else mentions this particular problem when changing the compressor on their PT. This causes me to wonder if your motor mounts are worn out and have let your engine shift too far forward.

You might try using a jack to lift and possibly shift your engine. I know that if you take the three right mounts loose, you would be able gain plenty of room. But that may not be necessary if we are just dealing with worn mounts.

You can see how I removed the right mounts to get the alternator out in this thread. That may give you some ideas and will show you a safe way to lift the engine:

The "Handy" Alternator Change Out - Motor Mount Technique
Old 06 Aug 2014, 03:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you, Handy. With the wheel and splash guard off, I decided to remove the headlight. There is enough of an opening to get a box end ratchet in there to remove the top bolts. And just for the heck of it, I removed the bolts from the bottom of the radiator support to move the core forward a bit. I did notice that the rubber in the lower mount ("long arm") was worn, but it looked like the engine was seated back by a couple of millimeters. Nothing to affect the space between the compressor and the core support. Now I just have to track down my pesky power steering leak.