Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lots of issues! 06 auto base wagon nonturbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Aug 2014, 12:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Lots of issues! 06 auto base wagon nonturbo

Okay I recently rescued a badly abused little cruiser. She's an 06 base wagon non-turbo automatic with about 152k miles on her.

She isn't a bad driver, really. Handles great despite being on four totally different tires. She needs a little work. Previous owner says water pump and alternator, though I haven't noticed any issues with the water pump yet.

So the previous battery (NEW battery) wouldn't hold a charge. Within 8 hours she went from turning over to 5amp (I think thats what autozone told me) but about completely dead. I got a new battery on her and discovered via multimeter the interior lighting was pulling 1amp while off, so pulled that fuse. The battery has been holding a charge since, so I haven't checked other fuses.

The battery light is always on, the check engine light is random.

Oil change needed bad, check.

Sometimes she just won't crank. She never does this at home, only when I'm far away. I will turn the key and everything will be normal. I turn to crank and nothing. Just simply nothing. She will stay this way just long enough for me to think she really won't crank. She waits for me to look under the hood completely lost at what to do. Then when I decided to give it one last try.... TADA!!!! Perfect turn over. >.<

She really likes to mess with my head. One time every single day (usually on my way home from work) she will not shift up to 4th gear. I'm stuck doing 40mph at 4000rpms. I can stop and restart and she continues to not shift. However if I come back out after a few hours to run some errands she will shift up and down, all gears, no problem.

Check transmission fluid and it's good.

I went for a code read and I got an error code (not listed in sticky either) P063A.

P063A
Definition: Generator voltage sense circuit.
Explanation: The cm detects no change in the generator sense voltage when attempting to regulate the generator output.
Probable causes: 1. Open or short circuit condition 2. Poor electrical connection 3. Generator 4. Powertrain control module PCM

So I did read on different forums and blogs that the fix is a software update. I also read that software updates will fix a few different things and seems to have a little something to do with all of my issues.

I'd love to hear some feedback on these issues. I would like to get her up and running well like I know she can

Last edited by MemphisPt; 06 Aug 2014 at 12:48 am. Reason: add information
Old 06 Aug 2014, 01:38 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Lots of issues! 06 auto base wagon nonturbo

Just possibly: The wires going to the alternator are along side of the engine in the back about paralel with the right axle.
There should be a bolt with a wiring restraint clamp about 8 inches from the transmission. It might be missing and the
charging wires rubbing against the axle. And with 150k miles you may be due for an alternator, the voltage is regulated by the PCM in the 06 up models.
The alternators are pretty much non rebuildable as far as electronic parts, I picked up a lower mileage alt at a local yard for $35
make sure the engine grounda are clean and tight, one by the starter on the tranny and a smaller one on the passenger side going to the
mounting bracket under the speed control. Battery cables clean and tight with no acid corrosion damage to the cables.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 06 Aug 2014 at 01:46 am.

Tags
2006, p063a, pcm