Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is my PT Cruiser possessed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2014, 01:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Is my PT Cruiser possessed?

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser Limited with 178k miles. 4 cycl 2.4L Most of the parts are original other than repairs done over the years and regular maintenance. Timing belt and water pump replaced. It ran really good until recently. Had the fog light issue years ago, removed the fuse and fixed that. The car was purchased in MA and spent 10 years in the cold and snow. We moved to FL almost 2 years ago and a few weeks ago, the car wouldn't start. We got a jump and it ran fine for a few more days. The AC started to have issues recently too, when we ran it, it sounded like it was sneezing? so we stopped using it until we could get it looked at. The serpentine belt makes a noise when it rains and occasionally the battery light would come on in heavy rain. Went to replace that and the mechanic said to wait till it breaks as it was still good. About a week ago we were driving and the radio shut off. The entire radio went dark (factory installed), no time, no sound, nothing. The battery light came on, the air bag light came on. Then they shut off. The car ran fine though. The next day it wouldn't start again, jumped it, drove to the store and on the way back, the entire dashboard lights went black (it was nighttime, the headlights stayed on but were dim)
The car was well maintained from the time of purchase when it was new until a few years ago when finances got tight. Most of the repairs were done by Chrysler.
We thought it was the belt again so bought a new one but again were told the one that was there was fine. The mechanic tightened the pulley's? (I know nothing about car engines) and tightened the belt but it still makes noise when the car starts or it rains. The car is dead now. We thought it was the alternator so replaced that and it started up fine but when we shut it off it wouldn't start again. The alternator is good (tested) but it still won't start even though the battery had a full charge, so tomorrow we will replace the battery, it's about 4-5 years old.
I did read about the ignition switch in the forum and my husband has a monkey fist keychain which is quite heavy too.
Do I need to call a priest for an exorcism or can my PT be fixed? LOL I miss my car Thank you for the forum posts, they are very helpful to PT Cruiser owners.
Old 08 Aug 2014, 06:53 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Is my PT Cruiser possessed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa02724 View Post
I have a 2003 PT Cruiser Limited with 178k miles. 4 cycl 2.4L Most of the parts are original other than repairs done over the years and regular maintenance. Timing belt and water pump replaced. It ran really good until recently. Had the fog light issue years ago, removed the fuse and fixed that. The car was purchased in MA and spent 10 years in the cold and snow. We moved to FL almost 2 years ago and a few weeks ago, the car wouldn't start. We got a jump and it ran fine for a few more days. The AC started to have issues recently too, when we ran it, it sounded like it was sneezing? so we stopped using it until we could get it looked at. The serpentine belt makes a noise when it rains and occasionally the battery light would come on in heavy rain. Went to replace that and the mechanic said to wait till it breaks as it was still good. About a week ago we were driving and the radio shut off. The entire radio went dark (factory installed), no time, no sound, nothing. The battery light came on, the air bag light came on. Then they shut off. The car ran fine though. The next day it wouldn't start again, jumped it, drove to the store and on the way back, the entire dashboard lights went black (it was nighttime, the headlights stayed on but were dim)
The car was well maintained from the time of purchase when it was new until a few years ago when finances got tight. Most of the repairs were done by Chrysler.
We thought it was the belt again so bought a new one but again were told the one that was there was fine. The mechanic tightened the pulley's? (I know nothing about car engines) and tightened the belt but it still makes noise when the car starts or it rains. The car is dead now. We thought it was the alternator so replaced that and it started up fine but when we shut it off it wouldn't start again. The alternator is good (tested) but it still won't start even though the battery had a full charge, so tomorrow we will replace the battery, it's about 4-5 years old.
I did read about the ignition switch in the forum and my husband has a monkey fist keychain which is quite heavy too.
Do I need to call a priest for an exorcism or can my PT be fixed? LOL I miss my car Thank you for the forum posts, they are very helpful to PT Cruiser owners.
with any luck the exorcism will be performed as the battery is replaced. A bad battery with its lower voltage, usually one cell (2volts)
seems to create a multitude of hopefully temp issues.

Let us know how its doing after the new battery is in.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 08 Aug 2014, 07:09 am
Veteran Cruiser

There is a ground strap from the negative battery cable that attaches to the fender just to the right of the battery. See it that is still attached. It is basically under the fender right next to the battery, you'll have to look in the space between the battery & the fender.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 08 Aug 2014, 11:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My bet is the ignition switch.
You said you read about the ignition switch on the forum, but haven't done anything about it???

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Aug 2014, 01:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It was the battery. We got a new one this morning and put it in and it started right up. Shut if off twice, and it started right up both times. Too early to tell if the electrical issues are gone but the lights were bright. The battery we had in it was a 26R-2 and Walmart said it required a 26R-3 which is what is in it now. Thank you for your help
Old 09 Aug 2014, 01:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If the electrical issues continue we will change the ignition switch next. It took a month of the car not running to be able to get a new alternator and battery. Finances aren't what they used to be Thank you all so much for your help! You guys are the best
Old 09 Aug 2014, 04:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa02724 View Post
It was the battery. We got a new one this morning and put it in and it started right up. Shut if off twice, and it started right up both times. Too early to tell if the electrical issues are gone but the lights were bright. The battery we had in it was a 26R-2 and Walmart said it required a 26R-3 which is what is in it now. Thank you for your help

You should know for sure in about 3 days if your car doesn't start.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost