Advertisements
NEW TRANS PAN W/PLUG AND RAD Q'S

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TommyBlazin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2014, 12:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default NEW TRANS PAN W/PLUG AND RAD Q'S

Hi guys, i am installing new radiator and trans pan with plug, and the trans filter tomorrow, does anyone know how much about trans fluid should i buy , i am going to drill the hole w/bag over drill deal and empty out whatever comes out of there, i recently had the whole trans line flushed, but when he didn't change the filter, i brought this one on, that's half a$$ if you ask me, , and any brand that's superior as far as trans fluid?? also how much HOAT from Mopar should i grab for new rad, and to filll overflow container, i was thinking i have a half bottle non mixed, one more gallon, and see where that lands me, i am changing hoses, got the gates, and a Mishimoto racing t-stat opens 179.7 degrees.. as well as a new radiator cap/stant, i like to do things once and RIGHT. also with the trans filter and gasket any tricks to installing either, i'm sure the filter is explanatory, but the gasket has alot of bolts to hold that pan up there, lol, any tips sure would be appreciated!! thanks in advance guys...also sorry for all the newb questions, but i will hopefully answering them to someone else someday for you...do i have to flush the new rad, there's a sticker saying to flush with distilled water,which i'm assuming boiled? and radiator fluid?...or was that in the future to flush it, i just flushed it and put new fluid in and stant t stat last month, i couldn't believe a pin hole appeared!!!!thats why i bought all new hoses, rad cap, t stat etc, i am leaving nothing out..
tommy

Semper Fidelis!!!

Last edited by TommyBlazin; 08 Aug 2014 at 12:04 pm.
Old 08 Aug 2014, 12:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: NEW TRANS PAN W/PLUG AND RAD Q'S

4 quarts should do it but get 5 just in case.

IMO you should run a 70/30 mix of coolant in your new radiator. Distilled water is not really necessary the coolant will take care of inorganic material.

I like to have at least a couple of studs in the transmission to hold and position the new gasket and pan. The new transmission will have all studs.

Last edited by NitroPT; 08 Aug 2014 at 12:09 pm.
Old 08 Aug 2014, 12:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

im confused? its not a new transmission, just the pan on bottom of car, we talked on phone about it, im installing one that comes with plug installed already, rather than buying th kit to install a plug in existing pan,when you say studs, do you mean put a few bolts up on all corners and one by one slowely put all bolts in and than tighten?evenlly and carefully of course

Semper Fidelis!!!
Old 08 Aug 2014, 12:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBlazin View Post
im confused? its not a new transmission, just the pan on bottom of car, we talked on phone about it, im installing one that comes with plug installed already, rather than buying th kit to install a plug in existing pan,when you say studs, do you mean put a few bolts up on all corners and one by one slowely put all bolts in and than tighten?evenlly and carefully of course
Sorry it is something I just learned to do with my own parts. oil pan, valve cover timing cover etc.. if you place a stud or 2 it will help align the gasket and the cover. Just makes for easier work. Not necessary by any means. Studs also tend to be more forgiving if over tightened and break to remove. As well you can in many cases get a more even torque through out the mounting surface which increases gasket sealing.

Old 08 Aug 2014, 01:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Big turbochargers and covers mounted with a thousand studs. Makes me think about an old Mack R600 log truck "Maxidyne" engine.

Old 08 Aug 2014, 01:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can also just screw a bolt in each side threw the gasket to hold it in place. Lift into place and start with your hands. Then install the rest of the bolts. distilled water doesn't have the minerals found in tap water. The white hard stuff you find in things that have heated water in them.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 08 Aug 2014 at 08:37 pm.
Old 08 Aug 2014, 06:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Busted PT that's exactly what i did,worked like a charm!!!! the gasket holes were a hair smaller,i was however surprised to see the pan that was on there was sealed with gasket sealer, wonder if someone changed filter before or the factory just did it like that with black rtv, and not much at that, just tighten em good, i didn't kill em, i can always go back and snug if needed, i learned that lesson a LONG TIME AGO , once you snap that bolt in there your screwed, PERIOD, you can always tighten a hair if needed tho i had my screws soaking in the best rust remover to date, cleaned the magnet popped into new pan, wasn't much metal shavings actually more muck than anything else, anyhow for anyone wanting to do job, fairly easy, depending on your skill set i guess, but 'i'm no where near nitro pt and others on this site when it comes to wrenching, i'm learning, but i do work with tools every day so i'm no stranger, and no scared to tackle jobs, i do heavy commercial hvac and plumbing,malls high-rises etc, so its all good,ok off to auto-zone to get 5 quarts of trans fluid.....
Busted_PT likes this.

Semper Fidelis!!!
Old 08 Aug 2014, 06:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The black RTV is factory.

There are torque values so you don't have to worry about breaking fasteners.

The magnet I always use but in reality the funny thing is that the critical parts of automatic transmission are usually made from copper or aluminum.
Old 08 Aug 2014, 08:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

well that explains why it wasn't full of metal, just funked up w/crud like i said filled with Castrol atf-4 synthetic was on approved list said right on bottle for Chrysler car as well., also added the lucas trans additive , why not? lol...filled no leaks, started disassemble the rad,drained getting ready for tomorrow morning,i'm surprised from factory no gasket? and they barely use any black rtv, i had very little it wasn't as much as i would apply that's for sure, easy job tho, recommended to do as <1> your changing filter better flow and in my case, cleaned off magnet, will work better now,<2> you can swap it out with oil changes or twice a year or when ever you want that's the beauty, i know you don't get whole system, but if you do on a regular schedule like i plan to, i'm sure i will always be running nice clean fluid threw my trans..i have some mild ocd, so i love this maybe more than i should lol, i was "cleaning" and wiped down entire under car, 2 cans of super oil, spray version, to protect, clean etc, greased this and that, cleaned entire front end under car, as on ramps , and after putting h&r shock kit on cars to low to get under now unless on ramps,so i took advantage, treated all the plastics as well tires well, etc, with a cleaner/sealer/dirt resisting spray only available at honda dealers, i used when i had my quad, it would keep the plastics looking to notch, best stuff, pricey, but hey, it works? if your ever under my car you'll say, that's a clean pt you have there...LOL j.k

Semper Fidelis!!!