Advertisements
Problem with check engine P0171

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2014, 02:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Problem with check engine P0171

Hello! My name is Fredrik and i am new to this forum. I am from sweden and my wife just bought a PT Cruiser 2001 2.0 Limited Edition.

And i have a problem...

The Check Engine light is on. And it shows error code P0171.

And what i have found on this forum is this:
P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1

What could it be? I have checked for leaks in the vacum lines and checked the pvc valve.

So where should i begin? I have tried to read out with the obd2 outlet but i cant connect to the ecu. ( Using the Tourqe android software)

When we tried the car for the first time is was no problem at all. Then we drove a couple of miles and the light come on when i bumpt in to the sidewalk. After that it has turned on after some driving. I have resetet the Check engine light, taking of the negative wire from the battery, but it still turns on after a while...

Can someone mayby know what to check for next?

Have a nice day!
Old 09 Aug 2014, 02:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Problem with check engine P0171

You CAN NOT reset the ECU DTC by disconnecting the battery. This is available BAD information about PT Cruisers. All you accomplished was to turn of the engine light and nothing more. The DTC is still active and pending.

You should get a OBDII scanning toll that can read and properly "clear" the DTC and than drive a few miles 30-50milesor let the engine completely cool over night and restart and drive a short distance.to see if the engine light comes back on and than recheck the DTC code.

Please try to resist the temptation to use the key dance to access the DTC. Although at times it is helpful ultimately for some to be of the best help to you on a forum the use of a Diagnostic Scanning Tool is needed.

Although not related to your code I would always be suspect of the fuel cap. If the o-ring is dry or hard even semi hard it will not seal and could cause DTCs to activate. As a test you could properly clear the DTCs and apply a spray lubricant on the fuel cap and see if the DTC does not re activate. Or just purchase a new fuel cap?

Unless you can follow these recommendation and/or have some operating problem than I doubt further suggestion can really be helpful?

WELCOME TO THE FORUM
dougs likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 09 Aug 2014, 03:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Greetings Fredrik

Here is a post from CREWZIN in 2009.

It may offer some help.

Lots of reading here on this-site specific Google search for P0171.
Old 09 Aug 2014, 07:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello and many thanx! I will check the fuel cap. But witch obd2 tool should i use? I am using the bluetooth version just now. But i cant connect to the ecu with it. I also have a obd2 cable for the usb to the computer. But witch software is the best.

Have a nice day!
Old 09 Aug 2014, 07:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by proppen View Post
Hello and many thanx! I will check the fuel cap. But witch obd2 tool should i use? I am using the bluetooth version just now. But i cant connect to the ecu with it. I also have a obd2 cable for the usb to the computer. But witch software is the best.

Have a nice day!
You have a good question there my friend?

Personally I not had to use a Bluetooth using a OBDII adapter cable so I am not even sure what to suggest?

I have a couple special OBDII to PC programs but they are specialized and very pricy. Mainly for DATA logging and computer calibrating.

Maybe another member has a suggestion or idea what you could use?

You might check with your local auto parts store that I see your have in your country.
Tell them that you are looking for an inexpensive Diagnostic Scanning tool for OBDII.

Or if you look on Ebay or amazon for sellers in your country or who can sell to you. If you see something PM me with the info and I will let you know if it will work for you.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Aug 2014, 01:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello my friends! I have borrowed a OBD2 instrument that can connect to min car!

I have done som live reading with it to. And I wonder if one of the O2 sensor ir broken...

On Idle:

O2S B1S1 ( V ) 0,195
O2S B1S2 ( V ) 1.000

And this when the ignition is on but not running:

O2S B1S1 ( V ) 0,000
O2S B1S2 ( V ) 0,550-0,700

I have noticed that the top one, The one above the catalyth is changed..

Have a nice day everyone!