Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2009 pt cruiser stalls on highway

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Aug 2014, 11:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2009 pt cruiser stalls on highway

So ill have a half tank of gas or more and ill be driving down the highway about 10 miles or so and my car stalls out like it ran out of gas. Check engine light comes on. I pull over turn the car of then back on and it drives fine. Then if the car sits for a few hours or overnight ill turn it back on and the check engine light is gone until it happens again. Its been going on a couple days now. And it litterally always happens the same spot on my way to work each day. Could it be fuel filter being clogged and its having troubles at high speeds? Maybe fuel pump. Or possibly spark plugs and wires? Idk any help would be great.
Old 10 Aug 2014, 11:45 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2009 pt cruiser stalls on highway

It sounds like something is getting hot & making your PT shutdown.
I'm sure someone will be around later that can help you more.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 10 Aug 2014, 12:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. If the engine light came on, there should be a fault code stored in the computer. Most auto places will read the computer for you and get the code or you can try this....

How to retrieve fault codes.
Old 10 Nov 2014, 10:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey - I have a 2009 PT Cruiser; it died at 70mph on the QEW visiting Toronto Ontario...it sucked! I was a little scared trying to exit the verry busy freeway...it happened several times in the following weeks... finally.. I went toi the dealer after it happened at regular intervals of about once every couple days. It's not so scry when just driving around town.

Problem? ignition switch! Yup! cost less than $200 at dealer in Buffalo NY area. NO problem since - it's been about a year now.

I had a similar problem with an older 92 (?) Grand Voyager...wish I'd know to check the ignition...no one could fix it...

Hope this helps anyone!

jhayden
Old 10 Nov 2014, 10:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayden View Post
Hey - I have a 2009 PT Cruiser; it died at 70mph on the QEW visiting Toronto Ontario...it sucked! I was a little scared trying to exit the verry busy freeway...it happened several times in the following weeks... finally.. I went toi the dealer after it happened at regular intervals of about once every couple days. It's not so scry when just driving around town.

Problem? ignition switch! Yup! cost less than $200 at dealer in Buffalo NY area. NO problem since - it's been about a year now.

I had a similar problem with an older 92 (?) Grand Voyager...wish I'd know to check the ignition...no one could fix it...

Hope this helps anyone!

jhayden
Thanks for posting.
I'm guessing the original poster was hitting a bump at spot the car would cut out at....
Keyrings with lots of keys eat ignition switches...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Nov 2014, 11:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you might have a fuel related or electrical related problem.
You should get an OBDII Scan tool and when the engine trouble light comes on get the engine trouble code. Let us know what the code is.
Until you are able to get the OBDII Scan tool I would suggest taking the caps off the top of the battery. You might find the cell next to the negative and positive post low on battery fluid. If it is low refill it using distilled water and then recharge the battery. Take the positive cable off the battery and then the negative cable. Clean both the cables and the battery posts. Then put the negative cable back on first and then the positive cable. Check the other end of both negative and positive battery cables. After you have done this take the PT Cruiser (not the battery) to Sears or some auto parts place where they will do a battery load test for free. Not just check the voltage but check that the battery can handle a big load with A/C, radiator fan, headlights, etc.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 10 Nov 2014 at 11:04 pm.
Old 11 Nov 2014, 11:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest you might have a fuel related or electrical related problem.
You should get an OBDII Scan tool and when the engine trouble light comes on get the engine trouble code. Let us know what the code is.
Until you are able to get the OBDII Scan tool I would suggest taking the caps off the top of the battery. You might find the cell next to the negative and positive post low on battery fluid. If it is low refill it using distilled water and then recharge the battery. Take the positive cable off the battery and then the negative cable. Clean both the cables and the battery posts. Then put the negative cable back on first and then the positive cable. Check the other end of both negative and positive battery cables. After you have done this take the PT Cruiser (not the battery) to Sears or some auto parts place where they will do a battery load test for free. Not just check the voltage but check that the battery can handle a big load with A/C, radiator fan, headlights, etc.
Who are you posting this for????

The one with the most recent instance of the problem posted what he found was the cure, and it had nothing to do with the condition of the battery.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 12 Nov 2014, 12:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Who are you posting this for????

The one with the most recent instance of the problem posted what he found was the cure, and it had nothing to do with the condition of the battery.
youmuffedup and who are you talking about ?
Old 12 Nov 2014, 11:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
youmuffedup and who are you talking about ?
User JHayden.
The other posts are old.