PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02 Cruiser No spark

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2014, 08:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 02 Cruiser No spark

Have an 02 Cruiser 2.4L that we did the timing belt on, during that we did the water pump and head gasket. There was nothing wrong with the car when we started this project, it was just something that needed done. 130k miles on the car. We put everything back together, plugged everything back in, now we have no spark whatsoever. The battery was disconnected during this whole process. I have checked all fuses, swapped the ASD relay, replaced cam sensor and crank sensor, replaced coil, checked all grounds, triple checked all connections and grounds. According to my Snap-On scanner there are no codes or stored codes. I can't figure out what is going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. From reading through here, I've learned there is no ignition control module, it's all done through the PCM. The fuel pump is working fine, I just have no spark. Could something have happened with from the battery being disconnected??

Last edited by oneofakinder; 12 Aug 2014 at 08:33 pm.
Old 12 Aug 2014, 08:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 02 Cruiser No spark

I have read that there are 2 connectors that can be mis-connected. It's happened to a couple of people.
I hope someone else chimes in with more detail than I have.
rob342 likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Aug 2014, 08:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just did some reading and ill have to check in the morning. The TPS and coil have the same connector and may have been swapped when it was all put back together. EDIT: Sitting here at the computer, looking at pictures of the TPS and Coil, they have different connectors that wont allow them to be swapped.
rob342 likes this.

Last edited by oneofakinder; 12 Aug 2014 at 09:05 pm.
Old 12 Aug 2014, 11:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Its possible to swap the cam sensor and coil connector
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 13 Aug 2014, 12:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Re check for DTCs. If the PCM is connected and it has not failed there will be codes. Snap on diagnostic scanners are able to check readiness status with a no start ignition on you will show area's of alert.

The battery being disconnected during your work and reconnected later has nothing to do with the engine not starting. It may erase your radio station memory.

A perfectly running PT Cruiser if you pill all the primary lead or up plug the coil initiate a start and than reconnect everything you will activate DTCs even though you reconnect the coil and replaced the plug wires. It is how the OBDII system works.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 13 Aug 2014 at 12:14 am.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Alright, I swapped the CAM sensor harness with the Coil Harness and it fired right up. I think with them being switched like that it burned up the CAM sensor because that is the code it is throwing now. Thanks for your help
Jautowizz likes this.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 03:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofakinder View Post
Alright, I swapped the CAM sensor harness with the Coil Harness and it fired right up. I think with them being switched like that it burned up the CAM sensor because that is the code it is throwing now. Thanks for your help
I think the designer who thought that 2 identical connectors that could reach was a good idea should be forced to walk everywhere.

Glad my hunch was right, and sorry I didn't recall it was cam sensor and coil...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Aug 2014, 01:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

P0340 code after replacing the cam sensor twice now. Still won't go away for some reason and according to my scanner there is no signal at all from the cam sensor. What's next?
Old 19 Aug 2014, 01:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofakinder View Post
P0340 code after replacing the cam sensor twice now. Still won't go away for some reason and according to my scanner there is no signal at all from the cam sensor. What's next?
Check the cam plug & wiring going down the side of the block.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 28 Aug 2014, 04:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok. Sorry about the delay. All the wiring looks great. With the cam sensor harness unplugged I have 2V at the power wire and 5V at the signal wire with the key on.at the crank sensor with the harness unplugged I have 8V at the power wire and 5V at the signal wire with the key on. When I plug them in and start the car I get 2.2V at the cam sensor power wire and 0.18V at the signal wire. Still not sure whats going on but it keeps throwing the code immediately.

EDIT: All this time I have had no signal coming from the cam sensor while running. So I tried unplugging the crank sensor and cranking it over, I finally got a good signal from the cam sensor. Now I'm going to try a new crank sensor.

Last edited by oneofakinder; 28 Aug 2014 at 06:07 pm.