PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Shimmy driving me crazy!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Aug 2014, 08:05 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Shimmy driving me crazy!

I have had a front end shimmy since I bought the car. (50K). After having it completely gone over by my mechanic, he found no front end parts bent, except the FL wheel was slightly bent. Since I needed tires anyway, we replaced all 4 tires and I bought new rims too. At the same time we replaced the front end links, the front sway bar bushings, and the lower control arm bushings. After all is done, the car is allot better, but still have a slight shimmy when starting up from stop. Could it be a motor mount or transmission mount? Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 08:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Shimmy driving me crazy!

You don't say - you have alignment and balancing done?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Aug 2014, 08:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

im sure on 4 new tires and wheels they were at the verry least balanced and I would hope for that much cash the alingment was done but lets wait and see
Old 13 Aug 2014, 08:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Tie rods and ball joints should be considered. If alignment was done.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Aug 2014, 11:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

the OP says he rebuilt the frount end already???
Old 13 Aug 2014, 09:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yes, high speed balance and alignment done too.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 09:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You might rotate the front wheels with the back wheels. This is it's free to try before opening your wallet or driving yourself crazy. I have personally seen tire technicians balance wheels wrong. Correct weight but added to the wrong side, wrong size for rim lip, etc. mounting tires is a crappy job, so the smartest tech usually isn't the one stuck doing it. I mount/balance my own tires by myself at a friends shop. Even after proper balancing, When I mount and balance mine I even go as far as mounting the tires requiring the most weights in the back, as I was taught to do it like that.

Last edited by rob342; 13 Aug 2014 at 09:57 pm.
Old 14 Aug 2014, 11:22 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Rob, I'll try that!
Old 14 Aug 2014, 12:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I just must settle with the fact that I am from a different planet.

The guys who do the tire work have an important and responsible job. If they are not properly trained not only can they easily damage a wheel they could give do harm to themselves if a proper procedure is not done. Unfortunately many service shops seem to put the new least experienced employee cleaning the bathrooms and changing tire wheels and balancing. This was never the case is store I owned or managed.

Everybody rotated cleaning the bathrooms.

I would rule out that the tires and wheels are the problem, it just doesn't read like it with what was described. Many wheels can be .015 out of round and show no problems under 100mph. And there are new tires now with the problem remaining.

No one has mentioned the struts or the strut mount cushion plate. And also are we may be assuming it is a suspension component and not as the OP mentioned a mount issue.

He says that the concern is during starts and stops not cruising. So maybe it is a mechanical problem like a hub bearings,carrier bearing output bearing, all could give a low speed vibration or even shimmy if they are starting to fail.

I do not read that the mechanic had the PT up on a hoist and do an in gear run to feel,listen and see if anything was out of sorts?

Last edited by NitroPT; 14 Aug 2014 at 12:43 pm.
Old 15 Aug 2014, 09:35 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Nitro, nice to get comments from someone who had a shop. I'll take this info back to my mechanic. The slight shimmy I feel is on the steering wheel and not in the seat if that makes any difference, and when making left and right turns. Like I say, it's slight, and goes away after 25mph, and going straight. I can figure out what a hub bearing is, but what is a carrier bearing and a output bearing?

Last edited by red98gt; 15 Aug 2014 at 10:11 am.