PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A general comment about the PT Cruiser

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Aug 2014, 06:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A general comment about the PT Cruiser

All I can say is that I am amazed that the PT Cruiser is the hardest car to work on that I have ever encountered. I WAS a licensed mechanic, but quit the trade as it is a thankless profession. No one ever said thank you, and if there was one thing that was not 100% right, the bitching went on for hours. Who needs it?
That said, Chrysler designed a car that I would compare to stuffing 10 Lbs of S--T in a 5Lb bag.
I have 38,000.00 miles on my Convert, and there is a strange noise that "could be" the belt tensioner, or the PS pulley?
I figured I would replace it, and I have the belt and water pump which I bought ages ago just to have on hand, so may as well do the whole 9 yards.
I started to review the removal and installation process, and it's hard to believe what you need to do. The air condition evacuation was the topper!
I already replaced the Turbo, and just try getting to that baby. 3 inches of room to the firewall, and flying blind. Change the spark plugs is a treat, and the list goes on.
I think I will burn the thing to the ground.
The best thing I can say, is it's "cute" but I can understand why some of the outrageous bills people are paying to fix a $10.00 part.
Anyway, I am just venting about poor design and high maintenance cost, plus the as mileage SUCKS big time. Lucky if I get 12 to 14 MPG around town, and I drive like a pussy.
Overall a real POS in my opinion.
I do like the site, as I can drown my sorrows and sympathize with other owners when they figure it out.

Last edited by bfwilson2000; 13 Aug 2014 at 06:49 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 13 Aug 2014, 07:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: A general comment about the PT Cruiser

buy another car
Old 13 Aug 2014, 08:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

YOU forgot to say "Thank You!"
Vlefaive likes this.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 08:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Take it to a garage
Then you can bitch at the mec that has to fix it.
pluminator and LionPT like this.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 08:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Most new cars are as packed underhood as the PT is, some are worse.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Aug 2014, 08:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm not a professional mechanic. But I have to fix what they screw up on a regular bases. Ones with attitude much like yourself. Well if you can't find the challenge you can't handle the job. I didn't replace the turbo I rebuild the turbo. I have talked people with basic mechanical skills through a belt change. So if it's to tough for you, you might sell the tools and let someone who can handle do it. Every car has it's hard to get to jobs. Then there is the easy stuff. You just have to decide if you got it to go or not. Oh I forgot to say I have been thanked a few times. But not quite perfect is nothing to be thankful for. It's right or its wrong. There is no in between on mechanical.
jdlmodelt likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 13 Aug 2014 at 08:56 pm.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 09:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

I can see why some things can be a bit of a challenge working on the PT due to the fact that the front end is curved so much. Kind of seems like the shape of the car was designed first and then everything had to be fitted to the body design. That being said I have found the car for the most part to be pretty straight forward to work on.

Have I run into some challenges due to the design of the car, yes of course but I prepare for that, know it will take longer then I expect it will (but what doesn't that is worth while in life) and so all said I have found the car to be a real pleasure to own.

Seems like the good old days of working on a car like a 1982 Corolla have come to an end. I suspect like anything, if all you worked on was a PT every day you would figure out all the short cuts and changing a timing belt etc. on one would not be that big of a deal.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 11:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This guy reminds me of the kind of mechanic many take their PT Cruiser to get repaired and end up with more things wrong when they pick it up than when they took it in.

I just did an AC compressor change on one PT and axles hubs and bearings on another this week. Both customers left with a smile and one gave me a dinner for two card at a Strings.

I did not get a scratch one or raise in blood pressure from doing either task. Point is better mechanics will review the task before jumping in "blind" on a repair. Those days are long gone with the best invention around for working on vehicles. It called the world wide web! With that tool No vehicle is hard to work on anymore.

When I read so called claimed mechanics call anything hard to work on it is time they should stop and let others work on your vehicle. Cause "dog" you are too old to obviously want to continue your education in your life's choice of a career winding down. And just to be clear so you don't think I am some "punk" ( well maybe still am?) I am 56 and still read the ASE updates.

So maybe you should pop over to the local hardware and pick up a red & white sign stick it on your PT Cruiser window. That would be the sign that says FOR SALE.
jdlmodelt likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 13 Aug 2014 at 11:55 pm.
Old 14 Aug 2014, 04:19 am
Banned

Lol you said pussy

QUOTE=bfwilson2000;534494]All I can say is that I am amazed that the PT Cruiser is the hardest car to work on that I have ever encountered. I WAS a licensed mechanic, but quit the trade as it is a thankless profession. No one ever said thank you, and if there was one thing that was not 100% right, the bitching went on for hours. Who needs it?
That said, Chrysler designed a car that I would compare to stuffing 10 Lbs of S--T in a 5Lb bag.
I have 38,000.00 miles on my Convert, and there is a strange noise that "could be" the belt tensioner, or the PS pulley?
I figured I would replace it, and I have the belt and water pump which I bought ages ago just to have on hand, so may as well do the whole 9 yards.
I started to review the removal and installation process, and it's hard to believe what you need to do. The air condition evacuation was the topper!
I already replaced the Turbo, and just try getting to that baby. 3 inches of room to the firewall, and flying blind. Change the spark plugs is a treat, and the list goes on.
I think I will burn the thing to the ground.
The best thing I can say, is it's "cute" but I can understand why some of the outrageous bills people are paying to fix a $10.00 part.
Anyway, I am just venting about poor design and high maintenance cost, plus the as mileage SUCKS big time. Lucky if I get 12 to 14 MPG around town, and I drive like a pussy.
Overall a real POS in my opinion.
I do like the site, as I can drown my sorrows and sympathize with other owners when they figure it out.[/QUOTE]
Old 14 Aug 2014, 07:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Lol you said pussy
....and you wonder why I delete most of your stupid posts.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.