Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Long Crank on Cold Start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2014, 04:26 pm
Banned

Default Long Crank on Cold Start?

For a while now, my PT experiences what I would call a long period of cranking, when the engine is cold, before it eventually starts. Spark plugs, plug wires and coil are fairly new. Battery is fairly new and the largest that I could find (O'Reilly's with 575CCA). I had it at the dealership a while back for a fuel pressure and injector leakdown test, all were ok and within specs. Compression test was also done and all is good. Throttle body and injectors have all been recently cleaned. PCM is up to date on any software updates. Both O2 sensors have been replaced within the last year. What else to look at? Would or could the cam and/or the crank sensors have anything to do with the long crank? Thanks in advance.
Old 14 Aug 2014, 04:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Long Crank on Cold Start?

Re think the fuel pump.
trust me!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 14 Aug 2014, 04:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Before turning to "start", turn to "on" for a bit and listen to fuel pump. When humming stops, THEN turn to "start".

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Aug 2014, 05:11 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Before turning to "start", turn to "on" for a bit and listen to fuel pump. When humming stops, THEN turn to "start".
I have tried that, but I really don't hear a "humming" and I can't sit in the back seat and turn the key at the same time. But I had a feeling that it was going to be the fuel pump.
Old 14 Aug 2014, 05:32 pm
Young Cruiser

If you are not sure and don't have to lower the tank and end up not being the pump just get a fuel pressure gauge and check for fuel pressure. That's my opinion on this
Old 14 Aug 2014, 05:42 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX125 View Post
If you are not sure and don't have to lower the tank and end up not being the pump just get a fuel pressure gauge and check for fuel pressure. That's my opinion on this
I had it at the dealership a few months ago and they tested the fuel system and fuel pump. Their gauge set isolates the injectors and the fuel pump. They even kept the vehicle overnight to check for any leakdown on either side. I was there the next day and they showed me on the gauges where the system was still holding pressure on both sides (injectors and fuel pump). I have no reason not to trust this dealership, they have treated me good for the last 2-1/2 years that I have been using them. I just get the feeling that there is a check valve somewhere that is no longer holding pressure, that it takes the long crank to build up system pressure again before it fires. But I did already check and I can get a genuine MOPAR fuel pump (05161377AE) for $185.00 from a dealership in North Carolina, my local dealership wants $293.30 for the same pump. Then a local dealership has quoted $226 labor to replace it, I was expecting much worse!
Old 14 Aug 2014, 07:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I have no reason not to trust this dealership
And they'd be happy to sell you a fuel pump, so they have no reason to tell you your pump is fine....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 14 Aug 2014, 07:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

PM sent

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 14 Aug 2014, 07:50 pm
Banned

One test the dealership did say that they were not equipped to run was a fuel pump flow test, that is, to see how much the pump was putting out during a certain period of time. So even though it may provide enough pressure while static, under load it may not be putting out the volume needed.
Old 14 Aug 2014, 07:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
One test the dealership did say that they were not equipped to run was a fuel pump flow test, that is, to see how much the pump was putting out during a certain period of time. So even though it may provide enough pressure while static, under load it may not be putting out the volume needed.
I would think that would not impact starting, but would hurt acceleration.